3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 9:31 AM by SergeyK

Mplayer media with bluetooth speaker

CyberSurfer

Hi all, I'm new to the IoT community (as well as Linux) so I would appreciate some help with my current problem. I am trying to use Mplayer with a bluetooth speaker. My Edison appears to pair and connect with my Bluetooth speaker. However, I seem to be having trouble with getting Mplayer to actually play the file. I get the following message:

audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory.

The cursor loops between the start and end of the playback line "A: 3.4 (03.4) of 3.0 (03.0) 0.1%" which I take to be Mplayer playing the file. Can anyone provide some guidance as to what I may be doing wrong?

Mplayer.jpg

• 1. Re: Mplayer media with bluetooth speaker
          PabloM_Intel

Hi CyberSurfer,

A similar issue has been discussed in another thread, a user was able to play a .wav file using mplayer. I think you might find this information useful https://communities.intel.com/thread/61164.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 2. Re: Mplayer media with bluetooth speaker
            CyberSurfer

Pablo, thanks but I have actually utilized those commands prior to posting here. In fact the YouTube video posted on there was my original guide when performing this. There was no new information in that thread that would assist me in resolving my issue.

Still need help, thanks.

• 3. Re: Mplayer media with bluetooth speaker
              SergeyK

It looks that your mplayer is trying to use a legacy OSS device (/dev/dsp). Applications in modern Linux distributions normally use ALSA, or pulseaudio (which is a layer on top of ALSA).

Here are some ideas:

- Probably you already did this, but if you haven't try steps described in Edison Audio Setup Guide:  http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonaudio_332434001.pdf . Especially pay attention to commands' output. Compare it to output on your board...

- You can try specifying a particular ALSA device to mplayer. E.g. mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.0. You can also change the default sound driver for libao. It can be set in /etc/libao.conf, using a line like "default_driver=alsa" (no quotes needed). Refer to libao documentation for more info...

- Try running "cat /proc/asound/cards", or "aplay -l". Make sure your board actually has an audio playback device

- For testing purposes try using aplay instead of mplayer for playing WAV files. It is a simpler program that uses ALSA directly, it won't play compressed (e.g. mp3) files though.