1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 11:19 AM by Intel_Alvarado

USB host and FTDI

cristian_lainfo

Hello, i need to connect the Galileo gen2 to a external USB CAN bus adapter VSCOM - VSCAN CAN Bus Adapters: USB-CAN

, i need to send CAN messages to a external device.

This can adapter is a USB to FTDI device.

I found this lib https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0  is this the right way? or how can i use the USB host port ?

Some sketch sample on how to use this?

Regards

Cristian

• 1. Re: USB host and FTDI
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

I’ve never tried to use a device with a CAN bus. I guess that with the proper library and correct device; you could start by following this guide CAN Bus Module Tutorial for Arduino, Raspberry Pi and Intel Galileo . It shows the connection and has a library to work with the CAN module on the Galileo. At the end of the guide this method is tested through the serial monitor. If you have this CAN device as well you can check this method out

The link to the library you posted is not likely going to work, take a look at the summary section; it states that the library is for AVR architecture devices, the Galileo is not AVR.

In the link you posted VSCOM - VSCAN CAN Bus Adapters: USB-CAN I read a little through the user manual. It seems you need to install “can-utils” to be able to use the CAN drivers. The user guide says you can install this from git. What image are you using? I believe the eglibc image already has git installed.

The installation set up for Linux is described in section 1.5 of the user manual. I’d suggest you to go through the installation first, and then you can continue with the rest of the functions.

Let me know if this helps.

Sergio