9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 8:14 AM by Corestan

Intel Z97 Chipset USB 3.0 drivers and Logitech G35 Headset incompatible.

Corestan

I started a discussion over at Logitech's support form about the fact that the Logitech G35 headset is not compatible with the USB 3.0 Drivers for the Z97 (Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver).

It was suggested that I contact Intel about the issue, considering the headset works prior to the installation of the USB3.0 drivers. Once the drivers are installed, the headset no longer is recognizable by the computer. The common suggested solution would be to go to Device Manager, expand the sound, video and game controllers category, click on the headset and update the driver, however this is not an option because the Logitech G35 no longer shows up under the sound, video and game controllers. Instead it shows up under Universal Serial Bus Controllers as "unknown device" and you are unable to install, reinstall, or update the drivers automatically, or select the specific driver for it to use (which would be the standard USB Audio Device Driver).

This also is also seeming to be not just an issue with me, but with anyone using the Logitech G35 and the Z97 motherboard, as it has been tested with several configuration.

It should be noted that this is not an issue with other Logitech Headsets, such as the G930. They work fine with the USB 3.0 Drivers installed.

Thanks,

Dane

• 1. Re: Intel Z97 Chipset USB 3.0 drivers and Logitech G35 Headset incompatible.
          kevin_intel

This could be a compatibility issue between components as not all components in the market have been tested with our boards.

My recommendation is to uninstall the USB 3.0 driver you installed from our side and run windows updates. What happens if you test this in the USB 2.0 ports?

Kevin m

• 2. Re: Intel Z97 Chipset USB 3.0 drivers and Logitech G35 Headset incompatible.
            Corestan

The headphones do not work in the USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports with the 3.0 Drivers installed. As soon as you uninstall the 3.0 drivers and restart, the headphones appear and automatically load their audio drivers in the 2.0 ports, but the 3.0 ports lose all functionality. I'm sure there is a lot of possibilities as to what causes the issue, but it seems to be a problem on the software changes the 3.0 drivers make, since the headphones work without them.

I have not had a chance to extensively check older versions of the 3.0 drivers to see if at any point in prior versions they will work, but I will give it a shot once I have the time to and let you know what I find.

• 3. Re: Intel Z97 Chipset USB 3.0 drivers and Logitech G35 Headset incompatible.
              taica_gut

I have exactly the same problem only in my case headphones are A4Tech Bloody G501. Before installing the driver Intel USB 3.0 headphones works perfectly and as their software. After installing the driver headphones are not recognized by the system. On my system motherboard (Gigabyte GA Z97X Gaming 3) I have Z97 chipset. There also have an older desktop that headphones works perfectly, motherboard it has no USB 3.0 and I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop, it has USB 3.0 but uses the USB 3.0 driver from Renesas, the headset also works perfectly on my laptop. I installed and reinstalled the operating system several times,  I tried with Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 but with the same result, before installing the Intel USB 3.0 driver headphones works perfectly, after installing the driver headphones are not recognized by the system. What can we do?

• 4. Re: Intel Z97 Chipset USB 3.0 drivers and Logitech G35 Headset incompatible.
                taica_gut

@ - ''The headphones do not work in the USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports with the 3.0 Drivers installed. As soon as you uninstall the 3.0 drivers and restart, the headphones appear and automatically load their audio drivers in the 2.0 ports, but the 3.0 ports lose all functionality. I'm sure there is a lot of possibilities as to what causes the issue, but it seems to be a problem on the software changes the 3.0 drivers make, since the headphones work without them.''

I have the same problem ! I tried to install Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller:  3.0.4.65, Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller:  3.0.5.69 and the driver from my motherboard CD (I'm not sure which version) but with the same result, headphones do not work after installing the driver and if not install the driver USB 3.0 ports become USB 2.0.

@

intel_admin

What can we do? I also need headphones and USB 3.0 !! I think the driver has some problems since it is incompatible with two or maybe more manufacturers, in this case Logitech G35 and A4Tech Bloody G501, totally different manufacturers !!

• 5. Re: Intel Z97 Chipset USB 3.0 drivers and Logitech G35 Headset incompatible.
                  mikec_intel

Please try with the USB3.0 driver provided with your motherboard manufacturer. Remember to update the BIOS, chipset driver and Management Engine Interface driver.

Intel provides with generic drivers to motherboard manufacturers; they customize the settings of the drivers according to their motherboard specifications.

Regards,
                  Mike C

• 6. Re: Intel Z97 Chipset USB 3.0 drivers and Logitech G35 Headset incompatible.
                    taica_gut

As I wrote above, the first time I tried with the USB 3.0 driver from CD installation of motherboard (from Gigabyte). Same result - after installing the driver headphones are not recognized by the system. In Windows 8.1 driver is built into the operating system, I can not longer be installed by CD motherboard. What can I do then?

Returning to the same finding that we have specified in a previous post:

I think the driver has some problems since it is incompatible with two or maybe more manufacturers, in this case Logitech G35 and A4Tech Bloody G501, totally different manufacturers !!

• 7. Re: Intel Z97 Chipset USB 3.0 drivers and Logitech G35 Headset incompatible.
                      Corestan

Yes, the drivers I have used are both from EVGAs website, the mobo driver cd, and intel's generic drivers. Neither will work. I have not yet gone through all of the drivers versions but I have tried several, all to no avail.

Dane

• 8. Re: Intel Z97 Chipset USB 3.0 drivers and Logitech G35 Headset incompatible.
                        taica_gut

Intel Support - Worst support ever !!

• 9. Re: Intel Z97 Chipset USB 3.0 drivers and Logitech G35 Headset incompatible.
                          Corestan

Thanks a million for finding the solution. Mine had 3 possible setting, Smart Auto, Enabled, and Disabled. After trying all three, disabled is indeed the setting to go with. It allows the headphones to function perfectly once again.