4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 5:02 PM by CMata_Intel

Intel Galileo does not boot from SD-card while USB-stick is connected

NL

I wanted to log analog measurements to a USB stick, because SD card is too small to be changed by older people, where the system is.

So i need a system with RTC, analog reading (,two digital ports) and ability to write to usb-mass-storage.

I have compared the technical data of various microprocessor-boards and single-board-computer and decided on the Intel Galileo, which best met the requirements

I ordered an Galileo, then the OTG-cable and the coincell, I have several USB-Sticks and SD-cards. I followed getting started. Setting time with help of Google, to hwclock too. Reading about Mounting in Linux( not every usb stick was running, but i found one wich works. good to know: Its automatically mounted to media/sdx1 (x=a,b,c.. after each disconnect/connect, starting with a after reboot.

testing the Arduino Sketch, sometimes worked, sometimes did not. Searching, reading, downloading again and again, testing all Sticks and cards: Intel Galileo does not boot from SD-card while USB-stick is connected.

I could not detect using telnet. ( Knowing now: signs are: sd-Led is blinking only about 5 seconds, last sketch does not start.)

So: Apart from this error - Why must the Galileo boot from SD-card to remember last sketch - it is not enough if an otherwise empty SD card is in ?

Must it be that one has to tinker a jack to USB serial cable to see boot-messages, while the bord is conected to PC with USB ?

It's not too bad about the money but about the wasted time. A system, that does not start a sketch after applying the power supply is a joke and otherwise worthless.

• 1. Re: Intel Galileo does not boot from SD-card while USB-stick is connected
          CMata_Intel

Hi NL

Which image are you using(uclibc or eglibc)? Did you updated the firmware of the board?

If you are using the eglibc, telnet is not available by default and you will need to install some packages.

About the sketch that it's not running after the boot. What is the output of running df -h? Do you have free space?

The Galileo board uses a default-light OS based on uclibc (this one is stored in the Flash memory) and the memory available in the board is volatile. When you use an SD card with the uclibc or eglibc image you will be able to save data in the card. After the board has booted from the SD card you can run Arduino sketches and they will be saved in the board. But if you take the SD card off after this, you will not be able to see all the changes because the changes were made in the OS that is saved in the SD card.

I'm having the same behavior while trying to boot from the SD card and having a USB stick connected, I will do more tests and investigate about this and as soon as I get information I will post the results in here.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2. Re: Intel Galileo does not boot from SD-card while USB-stick is connected
            NL

Hi Charlie

Yes, i updated the Firmware following getting started. Now the Arduino-IDE does not show the menu-entry for firmware-update any more.

The output from df-h booting without USB-stick is:

Poky 9.0.2 (Yocto Project 1.4 Reference Distro) 1.4.2 clanton

sh-4.2# df -h

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on

rootfs                  295.1M    140.4M    139.7M  50% /

none                    115.3M      4.0K    115.3M   0% /dev

/dev/mmcblk0p1            3.7G    303.9M      3.4G   8% /media/realroot

/dev/loop0              295.1M    140.4M    139.7M  50% /

/dev/mmcblk0p1            3.7G    303.9M      3.4G   8% /media/mmcblk0p1

tmpfs                   116.2M    132.0K    116.1M   0% /var/volatile

tmpfs                   116.2M         0    116.2M   0% /media/ram

and booting with USB-stick:

Poky 9.0.2 (Yocto Project 1.4 Reference Distro) 1.4.2 clanton

/ # df -h

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on

devtmpfs                114.8M         0    114.8M   0% /dev

tmpfs                   116.2M    116.0K    116.1M   0% /var/volatile

tmpfs                   116.2M         0    116.2M   0% /media/ram

/dev/mmcblk0p1            3.7G    303.9M      3.4G   8% /media/mmcblk0p1

Whats the difference between uclibc or eglibc or how can I distinguish it. I can telnet in both OS ( with teraterm, having started an small Arduino sketch:

system("telnetd -l /bin/sh");system("ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.190 netmask 255.255.1.0 up");)

I downloaded the image from here http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2

The fact that the light OS can't save sketches, is known and is okay. But it is confusing when a similar looking but wrong OS starts.

If you do not suspect it, it results in unsuccessful troubleshooting.

I do not demand that everything is completely error-free, but would like to have detected it earlier. So Sorry for my frustration.

Regards

NL

• 3. Re: Intel Galileo does not boot from SD-card while USB-stick is connected
              NL

Hi Charlie

and Thank you for working.

Regards,

NL

• 4. Re: Intel Galileo does not boot from SD-card while USB-stick is connected
                CMata_Intel

Hi NL

The one you are using from: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24355/eng/SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2 is the UCLIBC.

You can found the EGLIBC in here: IoT Download - Board Boot Image there is also a really helpful tutorial of how to use this image in: Making a bootable micro SD Card with Windows* | Intel® Developer Zone

About the behavior we are having while booting from the SD card and having a USB stick connected, I were investigating and it is a bug and it's already reported. We hope that in future software/image releases this will be fixed. I'm sorry for the inconveniences this may caused.

Regards,

Charlie