Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4877 Discussions

Problem with 82579LM Gigabit NIC Link Aggregation

dfox1
Beginner

Hi,

My question is, when I trying to create 802.3ad Link Aggregation.

(Lenovo ThinkPad W530, Intel 82579LM Gigabit NIC, Intel Ivy Bridge-MB IMC, Intel PantherPoint QM77, Windows 8.1 Pro)

It shows an alert dialogue, basically saying it cannot create 802.3ad, SLA or VMLB group with AMT enabled device.

But I already disabled Intel AMT and even Intel AT in my BIOS.

Are there any way to solve this problem or if can't, any work around?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi dannyaaa,

Thank you for the post. Link aggregation are supported on server adapter with two or more ports.

ARe you using software provided by Lenovo to configure the link aggregation, if yes, please do contact Lenovo to check with them if the onboard NIC can support link aggregation and they are in better position to support the software provided.

For teaming for Intel server adapter, you may refer to this website for reference:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-009747.htm Network Connectivity — How Do I Use Teaming with Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS)?

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
dfox1
Beginner

Hi wb,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually using the function from Intel 82579LM Gigabit NIC driver, not from Lenovo.

I saw there's and option for grouping so I tried and selected 802.3ad, when I click next button to proceed, it pops up a window saying that AMT is enabled which is actually disabled in my BIOS.

Thanks!

Danny

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

HI Danny,

Teaming is not supported on network adapter that support Intel® Active Management Technology. You may check with Lenovo regarding the disabling of AMT in the BIOS, however, we cannot be sure also if this will work if the AMT feature is disabled.

Further, you need to have two or multiple ports to accomplish teaming and this is usually done on a system with server adapter (which support teaming). The software is the management software for Intel network adapter since Lenovo is using Intel ethernet controller thus the software was included in the system. But for full teaming support, you still need to check with Lenovo if this can be supported on your notebook.

You may refer to this site for reference about OEM onboard NIC http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-025637.htm?wapkw=(C57721) Network Connectivity — What Support is Available for My Intel® Network Connection?

Hope this clarifies.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
dfox1
Beginner

Hi we,

Thank you very much for clarifying!

I will have a look the link.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Danny