Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

High idle temperatures at stock speeds with 5930k

MKing6
Beginner

So I've just upgraded to the X99 platform. I started out using the stock intel cooler approved for the 2011v3 socket - and my 5930k was idling around 55c. Seemed a little high, so I swapped out the stock cooler for a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler, which brought the idle temp down to around 47c - not much of an improvement. So I finally then switched out the air based cooler for a Corsair H60 water cooling unit, and this got the temps down to around 43c.

Case airflow is efficient and correct, all fans are at 100%.

The ambient temperature in the room is around 70f - none of my other components are idling at this high of a temperature (GPU is around 20c idle, Motherboard is around 20c idle, RAM is sitting around the same).

My question is - is this too high of an idle temp for the 5930k at stock - and if so, should I RMA this chip or is there anything else I can try?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The temperature appears to be fine. I wonder what readings you would obtain when the processor is stressed and if the memory clock speed is not higher than 2133 MHz. You may use the following applications:

0 Kudos