Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

dosbox scaling

MJuri
Beginner

Hi all,

I've been trying to play some old games via dosbox, but am having issues getting correct 4:3 aspect ratio, which results in a stretched image on my 16:10 display.

I'm using the latest hd 4600 driver rest of the specs are:

win7 64bit sp1, fully updated

i5 4670k

8gb ddr 3 ram

Viewsonic VX2262wm 1680x1050 22 inch screen

Basically, even when setting up dosbox to preserve aspect ratio, fullscreen image is stretched. I cannot get the black pillars on the sides.

I've tried all the scaling options in the intel HD graphics control panel.

Is this a known issue? Does anyone have any experience with this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MJuri
Beginner

Hi joe_intel

The above suggestion doesn't work unfortunately.

The only way is to manually select 1024x768 on the desktop, or whatever other resolution I want.

Then dosbox correctly starts up pillar boxed.

This is why I don't get why there is an issue with the scaling options in the driver.

If pillarboxed resolutions actually work, how difficult can it be to make the driver switch a resolution automatically once I start an application that is in non native resolution, instead of it requiring of me to manually do it every time I wanna play dosbox games?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please install the driver for your monitor: http://www.viewsonic.com.au/products/lcd/VX2262wm.php# pDownloads http://www.viewsonic.com.au/products/lcd/VX2262wm.php# pDownloads

Are you using any converter or adapter cable?

MJuri
Beginner

Hi again joe_intel

I already have that driver installed.

It's a DVI cable directly from the monitor into the motherboard DVI slot.

Motherboard is Gigabyte Z87-D3HP.

The whole system is fully updated driver wise.

I'm just using the HD 4600 iGPU as my dedicated GPU died, and I am waiting for a replacement, so I wanted to report the dosbox scaling issue.

This happened with System Shock portable and runs on latest dosbox.

I already completed the game by manually changing the desktop resolution to 1024x768, and then starting up dosbox to get correct scaling.

But it's worth reporting this bug in case you guys can reproduce it and fix it.

0 Kudos