3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2015 3:37 PM by Stan_Gifford

SoftwareSerial on Edison

Michael27

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried using the SoftwareSerial library to code a sketch on arduino for intel edison? I have been struggling with lots of errors, and it isnt compiling...

Help anyone had similar issues and a possible way out??

• 1. Re: SoftwareSerial on Edison
          PabloM_Intel

Hi Michael27,

If you look at the code of the SoftwareSerial library, you’ll notice a lot of dependencies on the AVR architecture. Given that the architecture of the Edison is x86, this library is not compatible with the board.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 2. Re: SoftwareSerial on Edison
            Michael27

Thanks PabloM_Intel, I have checked the SoftwareSerial library's source code, and ther's indeed a lot of dependencies on the AVR architecture as also seen in the error message. But is there any alternative to using SoftwareSerial for edison or any other Library i could use as I am trying to send serial data between an android device and the edison via the arduino mechanism. Thanks!

• 3. Re: SoftwareSerial on Edison
              Stan_Gifford

I took some code written against software serial and fudged it as follows (used serial1).

static const int RXPin = 4, TXPin = 3;

static const uint32_t GPSBaud = 9600;

// The TinyGPS++ object

TinyGPSPlus gps;

// The serial connection to the GPS device

#define ss Serial1

void setup()

{

Serial.begin(115200);

ss.begin(GPSBaud);

Serial.println("FullExample.ino");

Serial.println("An extensive example of many interesting TinyGPS++ features");

Serial.print("Testing TinyGPS++ library v. "); Serial.println(TinyGPSPlus::libraryVersion());

Serial.println("by Mikal Hart");

Serial.println();

Serial.println("Sats HDOP Latitude   Longitude   Fix  Date       Time     Date Alt    Course Speed Card  Distance Course Card  Chars Sentences Checksum");

Serial.println("          (deg)      (deg)       Age                      Age  (m)    --- from GPS ----  ---- to London  ----  RX    RX        Fail");

Serial.println("---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------");

}

Hope this helps.

Stan

1 of 1 people found this helpful