2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2015 5:11 PM by estebanv_intel

How actually does UBUNTU handle isw

Otaku-inside

Problem description:

Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS

My HDD is using RAID-1 isw, message shows sign of breaking so decide to do a swap.

Swap the first drive, reboot, change the isw_xxxxxxx in fstab,

Code:

sudo dmraid -R isw_xxxxxxx

wait for the sync to complete, reboot, see system booting normally.

Shutdown, swap the second drive, drops me to ramfs and do dmraid -r isw_xxxxxxx, wait for the process to complete, lvm can't find any group.

reboot, says system can't find OS, the whole partition is deleted.

really frustrating.

Could anyone help on this? Thanks.

• 1. Re: How actually does UBUNTU handle isw
          Otaku-inside

Switch drive in SATA2, complete sync, switch SATA2 drive to SATA1, add new SATA2, sync succeed.

So I think the isw meta info probably lack identifier for either GRUB or dmraid to determine which one is the one with data, which one is the replaced drive.

The case in which it dropped me into ramfs I would assume that it's recognizing the empty drive as the drive with data and then wiped the drive with data empty after sync.

I still can't pin-point the problem but at least can narrow down the possibility so that if anyone see similar problem there's a procedure that won't wipe your entire drive.

• 2. Re: How actually does UBUNTU handle isw
            estebanv_intel

We are glad that you found a workaround about this issue, we do not handle information about how Ubuntu handles it but if you have issues in the future we recommend you contact Ubuntu support for further assistance.

Regards,