Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Unknown processor

idata
Employee

I bought and installed an E6600 processor (OEM tray) in my Dell E520. I have detected no problems but during the boot sequence I get a message that an unsupported processor was found. Running the Intel Processor Identification tool indicates an unknown processor with the same specifications as the E6600. Could the lack of ID cause the message.

<!-- [DocumentBodyEnd:cad4d2e1-c2ec-4ed3-a41d-b370b15f5784] --><!-- BEGIN attachments --><!-- END attachments --><!-- BEGIN helpful & correct buttons --><!-- END helpful & correct buttons -->
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BWeec
Novice

It sounds highly likely that you need a BIOS update to make the computer recognise the new CPU by name/model.

Check the Dell website support area for instructions on downloading on updating your BIOS.

idata
Employee

I did a BIOS update and get the same messaage. I'm thinking that the error is caused by not having the processor ID embedded in the chip. My question is why does the Intel Processor Identification tool returns "Unknown Intel Processor".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Go to device manager - processor - right click on unknown device and click UNINSTALL DRIVER and restart. It will work

Best

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I think you misunderstood the problem. The Intel Processor ID utility reports an unknown processor not the device manager. BIOS apparantly cannot find the processor ID because it is an OEM part. My question is why the processor ID was not included in the device.

0 Kudos