4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2015 2:55 PM by NWOrphan

GPU won't update, I think.

NWOrphan

This is long, but 1, I need and answer to if I actually need a GPU update, and 2) something is not right, and need to know if anyone knows why.

I seen that six days ago, ComputerJedi44 was in the same spot I am, but never replied if the problem was fixed or not, or how he fixed it if he did. If I only needed the answer, I would have just explained my problem in that discussion, But something is not right, and I didn't want to make his discussion about my problem.

Anyway's, about a month ago, I play games and use an app called Raptr to track my gameplay. There is a feature that  allows you to record your gameplay, and it won't let me because it says I need a GPU update.

Raptr.jpg

So, I click the UPDATE DRIVER button, and it takes me to your (Intel's) web site to download the Intel Driver Update Utility. So I did and scanned my PC. It showed 2 drivers 1) was Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility-EXE Only)  -  Installed version 9.2.0.1011, Latest version  -  10.0.27    ~~    2) was the GPU (I have a laptop) and it said, " can't update because manufacturer modified it" or something like that.

This brings me to my first question, Raptr says I need a GPU update, and the Intel Driver Update Utility shows my GPU but says it can't update it. Being that Raptr is saying it and the utility is showing the GPU, that would obviously mean there is an update available, I just have to install it, or does the utility always show all Intel chipset's whether updated or not? You will see why I asked that.

So, I decided to update my chipset, and worry about my GPU later. Using the utility, I downloaded the update, and then clicked install. It reached the very end and then says, Failed. I did it a few more times, and every time it says failed. So, I went to HP's forums and asked these same questions. They only helped my solve my chipset problem not my GPU problem.

Intel Chipset Will Not Update. - HP Support Forum - 5033995

at that time, I was very ignorant to driver updates, and someone said something and I seen you can see what driver is installed in the properties of the driver. I went to my chipset and it said I had version 10.5.0.1026.

At this point, I thought, if I re-scan with the utility will it say that my driver is updated. This is an INTEL utility and an Intel Chipset, so until the utility says I'm updated I'm going to think I'm not. I re-scanned, and the chipset still showed up saying Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility-EXE Only)  -  Installed version 9.2.0.1011, Latest version  -  10.0.27. That's when I noticed it, Intel is saying I have version 9.2.0.1011 and says I need 10.0.27, but my computer is saying I have version 10.5.0.1026. Can anyone tell me what is going on there? Why the Intel utility itself, can't see that I have version 10.5.0.1026, and that 10.0.27 can't be newer than that? That was then, even 2 minutes ago, I scanned it, and it still says the same thing.

Ok, back to the GPU.

Raptr is saying it and the utility then, was showing it, but 2 minutes ago when I scanned it, it doesn't show my GPU in the utility.

The first option is to go to HP's driver page and download and install the update. There are 3 GPU updates for my laptop: Intel's, AMD's and Nvidia's. The Intel one's version was 8.15.10.2559 but Raptr keeps saying I need 9.17.10.3347

The next option would be to find the driver on the Internet and download and install yourself. Didn't know what or how to do it, but I tried and it said it failed. Don't even know if I did it right.

Bottom line, It comes to do I even need an update, and If I do where can I get it. Hp would be my answer, but they never commented on my GPU once, so I'm here. Depending on what happens here, I will be messaging Raptr, asking when the app looks to see if I need a GPU update, how does it do it. When I pull up Raptr, within' seconds, it says I need one. I know my PC isn't telling Raptr I need one, so how does Raptr know so quick. It can't be Intel telling Raptr I need one, because Intel's utility can't even detect what version I have and what I need, whether the utility can download it or not. Raptr knows something I don't know, and I thought I would come here first, since it is an Intel GPU, even though the manufacturer modified it.

Thank you for any replies.

• 1. Re: GPU won't update, I think.
          hansb_intel

Hello NWOrphan,

This Raptr APP uses software that detects your devices and tries to find updates, but it may not be completely accurate, also the Intel Id utility may have issues since your system most likely has drivers modified by the OEM.

If you want to try to install the graphics driver you would have to do so manually. Just keep in mind that the Intel drivers are generic and they do not include any modification done by the OEM.

Please give me your system model, processor model and your operating system and I will search for the proper driver and I’ll give you the instructions for installing it.

• 2. Re: GPU won't update, I think.
            NWOrphan

You said, "Just keep in mind that the Intel drivers are generic and they do not include any modification done by the OEM." The Intel Utility said that it can't install the update because it is modified. That's why I'm here, to look for the modified update (if there is one) not an Intel generic update. I was at HP, were they should be able to answer the question, but I guess not. So, I thought I would try my luck here.

Thanks for offering to look for this and see if Raptr (the only one actually saying I have an update) is right.

System Model: Pavilion g7-1269nr Notebook

Processor Model: Pentium CPU B950 @ 2.10 GHz 2100 Mhz, 2 cores

Completely Ironic, for the past 3, 4 or 5 months I have been using Raptr, and it has always said I need 9.17.10.3347, but I just opened Raptr and for some reason, it says

Raptr.jpg

So your probably right.

But Thank you for looking.

• 3. Re: GPU won't update, I think.
              hansb_intel

The driver that is suggested by the tool is for a 3rd generation processor and you have a 2nd generation, so it is best to ignore these suggestions. The latest driver for you controller would be version 15.28.24.4229.

You can still install a generic driver but you would have to do it manually. Just be aware that some features may change if there were any OEM modifications.

This would be the procedure to update your graphics driver and I would recommend you set a restore point before updating.

Download the zip version of the drive and extract to a folder on your desktop:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24970/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-32bit

To install the generic driver, follow these steps exactly.

Login with administrator privileges

Open Control Panel

Open Device Manager

Click on “Display adapters”

Double click “Intel HD Graphics”

Click on the “Driver” tab

Click on “Update Driver” button

Click on “Browse my computer for driver software”

Click on “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”

Click on “Have Disk” button

Click “Browse”

Navigate to the folder that you unzipped the Intel HD Graphics driver to

Navigate to the Graphics sub-folder

Double click the igdlh64.inf or igdlh.inf file ß depends on if you have 32 or 64 bit OS

Click “OK”

Click “Next”, Driver should now be installing.

If successful, click “Close”, Reboot.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

• 4. Re: GPU won't update, I think.
                NWOrphan

Well my GPU did update, but something is still wierd. First, I have a 64-bit system. You said I that I have 2nd gen GPU must I must have the 3rd gen.

I clicked the linked you provided, and seen it was for 32-bit systems. So I copy and pasted the title into the omnibox and and typed 64-bit. I clickd a link that took me to Intel® Download Center and I clicked the 64-bit version. At the top of the page, before you click the 64-bit version,  it says the drivers are for 2nd gen. All of the drivers have 2 numbers on them e.g.15.28.24.4229(9.17.10.4229)

So I installed the driver and now it says

GPU.png

So if I have a 2nd gen GPU, and downloaded the 15.28.24.4229 driver, why do I have 9.17.10.4229.

Anyways, Thank You Very Much!!