6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2010 9:16 AM by stamatisx RSS

Great results with X25-E 64Gb in Windows 7

jaddorf

Hi.  I don't want to be contrarian, but I did want to post a positive comment in this discussion group..  People have a habit of only reporting problems, and casual observers may not understand that this reflects that the majority of users are having no troubles.

I installed my x25-e 64Gb a couple of months ago to "celebrate" the RTM of Windows 7 (obtained via Technet subscription).  My motherboard is an EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI with an Intel QX 9650 overclocked to a conservative 3.6Ghz to minimize heat issues.

I clean installed onto the new drive, it went perfectly the first time, zero issues, fantastic speeds.

Using standard benchmark testing, this drive exceeded its advertised read/write speeds!

For what it's worth, the Windows 7 "Performance Index" score for this drive in my system is 7.4 .

Thank you Intel !  /jim

• 1. Re: Great results with X25-E 64Gb in Windows 7
          Draz

Interesting.

With an Intel DP35DP motherboard and an E6850 Core 2 Duo at 3GHz, My X25-E 160GB has a Windows 7 (64bit),  disk score of 7.8

• 2. Re: Great results with X25-E 64Gb in Windows 7
            redux

My guess is he is using IDE mode. A fresh X25-E should get 7.9 using 7/64. Once degraded that might go down to 7.8. Anything lower would imply something is not right.

A fresh X25-M in AHCI mode will get 7.8/ 7.9. A fresh X25-M in IDE mode will get 7.5

• 3. Re: Great results with X25-E 64Gb in Windows 7
              jaddorf

I just tried the drive in AHCI and my performance score dropped from 7.4 to 6.9 .

EVGA tells me the AHCI implementation on my motherboard (790i Ultra) is not too swift, so I'm not surprised.  I did load the latest JMICRON driver from their website as well..

I'm gonna stick with my 7.4 and be happy for now, unless you have any ideas for me.

• 4. Re: Great results with X25-E 64Gb in Windows 7
                redux

I've run an X25-E on a ICH9 mobo and the worst (degraded) score I ever got was 7.8. I'm not sure what you are doing.

Are JMicron drivers on your mobo for the eSATA ports? The SATA ports are 3.0Gb/s and would need Nvidia drivers. I have no experience with SSD’s & Nvidia but somehow your drive is being gimped.

I would seriously consider getting a ICH10 board if I had spent that much money on an SSD to end up with that score.

• 5. Re: Great results with X25-E 64Gb in Windows 7
                  valdir

Very interesting,

With an X58 motherboard, a 920 i7 at stock clock and an X25-M 80GB MLC G1 SSD i get 7.8 disk score in W7 64 bit...

• 6. Re: Great results with X25-E 64Gb in Windows 7
                    stamatisx

I have an Alienware M17x | T9600 @ 3.41 GHz OCed| and the score I get is 7.7 with AHCI on clean install of win 7 x64

I switched to either AHCI legacy or native and I still get the same results. The other options I have on BIOS are either RAID or ATA.

The Crystal diskmark gives 4K random reads only 20.30 MB/s and I don't know if something is wrong with my system or the SSD. I upgraded to the latest firmware 8850

The chipset is NVIDIA nForce 730i according to CPU-Z

Thanks

*EDIT*

The chipset is probably the bottleneck since I cannot exceed the 7.7 WEI no matter what drivers I use or offset (1024 default win7 or manual set to 64)