7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2015 2:54 PM by ivanu_intel

NUC5i7RYH with 2x8Gb 1866Mhz CL11 Kingston HyperX Impact RAM?

msandersen

I see Kingston HyperX KHX18LS11P1K2/16, two 8Gb 1866Mhz sticks with CL11, listed here:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dk-nuc5i7ryh/sb/CS-035441.htm

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX18LS11P1K2_16.pdf

Does that also count for the HyperX Impact 1866Mhz CL11 HX318LS11IBK2/16 as listed below, given the same specs?

Kingston HyperX Impact HX318LS11IBK2/16 (2x8GB) DDR3L SODIMM [HX318LS11IBK2/16] - $195.00 : PC Case Gear

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX318LS11IBK2_16.pdf

• 1. Re: NUC5i7RYH with 2x8Gb 1866Mhz CL11 Kingston HyperX Impact RAM?
          Gintama7888

Hey, HX318LS11IBK2/16 should be fine on NUC since its DDR3L 1.35v.

Part Number Memory Search | Kingston Technology

But F3-2133C11D-16GRSL or HX321LS11IB2K2/16 listed on PC Case Gear might be slightly better/faster.

I just made a thread about different memory performance(brand/model and speed/timing), What type of memory do you have on Gen5 NUC?

• 2. Re: NUC5i7RYH with 2x8Gb 1866Mhz CL11 Kingston HyperX Impact RAM?
            msandersen

I saw those, but everything I have read says 2133 Mhz RAM doesn't work in the NUC in dual-channel mode (2 modules), people can't get it to Post with any more than one module. While it might be possible to manually set it to 1866Mhz (with cl10), I don't want to run the risk. I also prefer to get all the parts from the same place. Perceived savings from Amazon are easily eaten up by currency conversion and postage to Australia.

Reviews mention using HyperX 1866Mhz modules, though a different version with cl10 (maybe they sell the faster ones in America).

But I asked since there may be other technical issues I am not aware of, such as the higher cl11 latency on the above version to the ones mentioned in the review, might be an issue.

• 3. Re: NUC5i7RYH with 2x8Gb 1866Mhz CL11 Kingston HyperX Impact RAM?
              Gintama7888

"everything I have read says 2133 Mhz RAM doesn't work in the NUC in dual-channel mode (2 modules), people can't get it to Post with any more than one module."

Really? but anyway afaik cl10 versions are previous models and all current Kingston ones are cl11.

• 4. Re: NUC5i7RYH with 2x8Gb 1866Mhz CL11 Kingston HyperX Impact RAM?
                msandersen

I didn't find any sites testing with 2133Mhz RAM, but in the comments of the articles, some people have tested it, and without adjusting the speed, the most some ppl managed was one stick to work in the lower slot, and even then I don't think too stable. I got the impression they could adjust the speed in the BIOS and it would work, but I cannot be certain. Someone said if they couldn't get 2133Mhz out of it, they were gonna return it and get 1866Mhz RAM instead. Since I'm putting mine together for someone else, without more authoritative testing by one of the tech sites, I don't want to take the chance on vague comments by anonymous commenters. The speed increase for my purpose is not sufficient in the time I have to get it together.

But if you are willing to experiment with a site that has a returns policy, go ahead and report your findings on these forums. Others will be interested. The price difference is insignificant, and I did consider it, but I need better confirmation it will work stable without issues.

• 5. Re: NUC5i7RYH with 2x8Gb 1866Mhz CL11 Kingston HyperX Impact RAM?
                  msandersen

I emailed Intel customer support, and got the following reply:

"By reviewing both specs I concur with you in the sense that both are pretty much identical.

The main difference between models is the programmable latency; which does not represent a perceptible difference for a NUC unit.

The list of memory modules tested during development serves as a guidance for compatibility; but some newer memory modules that have the same specs might work as well and will not be listed in the provided website.

With this in mind, we can only recommend the modules we have tested; however, you can try on different modules with the same specs."

I should have my system by Wednesday.

• 6. Re: NUC5i7RYH with 2x8Gb 1866Mhz CL11 Kingston HyperX Impact RAM?
                    CorJ

Did you go for the HX318LS11IBK2/16 and does it work? Without altering BIOS settings?

Kingston states it is compatible with the i5 and i7 (in a Mac laptop): Memory | Search

• 7. Re: NUC5i7RYH with 2x8Gb 1866Mhz CL11 Kingston HyperX Impact RAM?
                      ivanu_intel

Hi

What msandersen is saying is totally right, you can use a RAM that uses the same specifications as the ones showing in the Intel® compatibility list but the memories we recommend are the ones on that list.

Please be aware that this NUC will only run DDR3L-1333/1600 1.35V SO-DIMM, if you use a RAM that runs at 1866MHz the unit will run it at 1600MHz and not at 1866MHz, 2133MHz will not be supported by this unit.

You can see the NUC specifications at:

Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH Specifications

Memory Types:

NUC.PNG

Regards!