Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20690 Discussions

HP Envy 17-J111TX doesn't detect external monitors

HRabe
Beginner

Hi there,

I have just purchased an HP Envy 17-J111TX notebook and trying two different monitors, with two different HDMI cables on separate occasions I cannot get the laptop to detect the second monitor.

I called HP support and they sent me drivers to install for both display adapters; Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M

Though after installing these and restarting my laptop it still won't detect the second monitor.

Tomorrow I will call HP again but I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice?

In case there is an easier solution to this instead of waiting on hold to help-lines...

It runs Windows 8.1. if that helps.

Thanks,

Hayden

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

What type of HDMI cable are you using? HDMI to HDMI or any adapter

Are you selecting HDMI source on your monitor?

Are you getting any black screen when connecting second monitor? if so, please check this link:

Allan.

0 Kudos
HRabe
Beginner

Hi Allan,

Thank you for your response,

I'm using an HDMI to VGA adaptor, then the monitor says check cable.

Initially I thought it was the cables fault but this same cable worked on another pc to this monitor.

I have tried every other fix imaginable, with unistalling drivers reinstalling them from multiple sources and trying every possible setting but the laptop still won't detect a second monitor from the hdmi output.

Would I be better to buy a USB to VGA adaptor?

Thanks again,

Hayden

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I would say the problem is the HDMI to VGA cable, Intel recommends using same ends on both sides of the cable for proper multi monitor functionality.

If possible try using active video cables.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033418.htm Graphics Drivers — Intel® Graphics and Televisions Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Allan.

0 Kudos