7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 4:11 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Motherboard DX79TO slow PC

arodi007

I have just change my bad motherboard for a new one: DX79TO.

Power supply, HDD and GPU card are all working.

My previous motherboard was using DDR2 RAM

My current spec:

RAM: Kingston DDR3 2GB(1 slot)

HDD: Hitachi 500GB ATA 3Gb/s

GPU: Geforce GT 620(2GB RAM)

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-26xx

PSU: 500W

All drivers installed and updated.

My problem am experiencing is that the PC is very slow. WIthin the BIOS menu, it takes around 2-4s just to slide from menu to menu. I have formatted my HDD and install a fresh windows 7.

The PC turns slow when installing windows, extracting and installing software. The CPU usage vary from 10%-30%(Temp 70C) and the RAM >90%. (On idle CPU is 0/1%)

When I restart my PC, it always shut down. I have run several test but can't figured out what the problem. The only thing that I have not tested is to use a larger RAM. From now am using ReadyBoost from a 4GB pendrive. Does it matter to connect the Power SW/Reset to the motherboard as there is already on the motherboard ?

• 1. Re: Motherboard DX79TO slow PC
          N.Scott.Pearson

The most common cause for a PC to run slow like this is thermal throttling. The first thing I would do is check that the heatsink/fan unit is properly attached and that there is sufficient thermal paste. In a (relatively) large volume system like yours, when at idle within Windows (or Linux), your processor should be running in the high 30's/low 40's (°C). If idle is showing 70°C, you will very likely reach the throttling point when you make it busy.

The BIOS contains a screen that allows you to to see the current temperatures are for the processor and motherboard components. You can use this screen to verify the effectiveness of the cooling solution; avoiding the complications of the O/S environment (and boot times). Now, understand that the BIOS does not enable any of the processor's power management features. As a result, the processor is never really idle, even when the BIOS is waiting for you to do something, and temperatures will be higher. Thus, in this display screen, you should be looking for a idle temperature in the high 40's/low 50's. If it's anything higher than 60°C, you don't have an efficient solution and it's time to look at thermal paste and heatsink/fan unit attachment...

Hope this helps; let me know if you have any additional questions...

...Scott

• 2. Re: Motherboard DX79TO slow PC
            arodi007

Thanks for your reply. I have check on the BIOS and the temp was 70C and the fan speed was 100%. Fan system: Zalman CNPS12x.

I have run Intel Desktop Utilities and show

Processor Temperature: 70C

Processor Core 0: 28C

- Core 1: 29C

ETC.. (vary from 28 to 34C)

Using SiSoftware Sandra

Board Temp: 70.0C

CPU Temp: 31C

CPU 2/AUX Temp: 70.50C

ICH/PCH/Aux 2 Temp: 70.0C

MCH/Memory board Temp 2: 0.5C

Inlet/Outlet PSU Temp 2: 36.5C

I don't understand the difference between Processor Temperature and Cores. The temp of the cores is normal.

I tried to convert a video of 25MB and it took 3min which is normal. The Processor Temperature remain locked at 70C while the cores vary with +-3C

I have disable TurboBoost but the Processor Temperature remain locked.

• 3. Re: Motherboard DX79TO slow PC
              N.Scott.Pearson

Hhmmm, this is an interesting one. Let's start with the explanation. I will keep this as high level as possible...

The processor, as you know, contains a number of separate components - execution cores, graphics cores, memory controller, etc. At the die's various hotspots are located Digital Temperature Sensors (DTS) that are used to determine when and how thermal management is performed (thermal throttling, for example), when and whether TurboBoost can be utilized, etc. Some of these DTS - those at the hotspots within each Core - are also exposed (via Model-Specific Registers (MSRs)) so manageability software can peruse them, etc. Now, system-level thermal management - fan control, etc. - is performed by a device external to the processor. On your particular board (and most commonly), it is performed by the Super I/O (SIO) device. In order for this device to make decisions regarding the speed of the processor fan, the processor must expose its temperature to this device in some way. This is done via a bus called the Platform Environment Control Interface (PECI). Since most of these devices cannot make fan speed control decisions based upon multiple temperatures, the processor exposes a single temperature reading for the entire processor package. It utilizes a proprietary formula to determine this one temperature reading from the readings of the various DTS included in the package. The processor also exposes a temperature target, called the Tcontrol temperature, that the fan control device can use, along with the temperature reading, to determine the necessary fan speed response.

Ok, long winded I am. At the end of the day, what's important here is that the package temperature readings should track fairly closely with the readings from the processor core DTS. There's something out of whack when the package temperature is way, way above the readings from the core DTS. On the other hand, based upon your original description, it still feels like the processor is running hot enough to see thermal throttling occurring - and, while it varies from one individual processor to another, this happens when the temperature is somewhere in the vicinity of 100°C! As well, there's an interesting correlation between what Sandra is displaying as the motherboard temperature and ITK is displaying as the processor temperature.

I am retired now (yea!), but for a good portion of my career at Intel, I was responsible for the thermal and acoustics management (fan speed control) and environmental monitoring (Intel Active Monitor, Intel Desktop Utilities, etc.) software - including within the BIOS - for most of Intel's Desktop Board and some generations of the Intel's NUC products. I am (OK, was) the expert. In this case, however, I am not sure what is going on. We are going to have to do some experimentation to sort this out...

Here's a start:

1. Ensure that you have the latest version of the BIOS available for your board installed.
              2. Power off the system and unplug it from the wall for a minute.
              3. Plug it back in, power it up and use <F2> to get into BIOS Setup.
              4. Do an <F9> to restore factory defaults. Make the minimum changes to the defaults that are necessary for your system design. Exit from BIOS Setup with a save.
              5. Use <F2> to go into BIOS Setup again.
              6. Navigate to the monitoring/fan control scenes. In the sub-scenes regarding (each) temperature and fan configuration, record all of the settings and send them to me.

Most of the third-party monitoring software, while they fully understand the devices used to perform monitoring and fan speed control, do not well understand how a particular device is used in a particular motherboard design. Sensor source and register mapping is the biggest problem. The ones that I know of that do a pretty good job with Intel's Desktop Boards (because I enabled their developers) are SpeedFan and AIDA64. I recommend that you download the trial version of AIDA64 (from www.aida64.com) and that we use it as our independent display of sensor data. It's additional advantage is that it also has some bench-marking capabilities that we can make use of.

...S

• 4. Re: Motherboard DX79TO slow PC
                arodi007

Thanks for the explanation of the processor temp.

Note: I have just change my RAM= 2x Corsair 4GB 1600Hz

Here another symptoms I have just got:

1.During Startup repair and Safe Mode Menu(before windows/when pressing F8) the keyboard does not work. When I press a button the time(automatic selection) stop for few seconds but don't execute my command that is up/down/enter.

2.When extracting large files and opening the browser(chrome),  the PC always freeze.(It also often freeze during windows logo)

3.The system is really slow(even before windows). I could see the screen fade down/up when hitting enter/switching to another screen(only before windows). On windows, its not so slow(nearly normal speed).

Here the records:

CPU Fan speed: 1240 RPM

CPU Fan speed: 0 RPM

Outlet (Rear Header) Fan speed: 0 RPM

Aux (Aux Header) Fan speed: 0 RPM

Processor Temperature: 70.0C

PCH Temperature: 43.0C

Memory Temperature: 28.0C

CPU VR Temperature 1: 36.0C

CPU VR Temperature 2: 40.0C

CPU VR Temperature 3: 37.0C

Ambient Temperature: -54.0C

+12.0v ATX Power: 12.14v

+12.0v ATX CPU: 12.18v

+5.0v: 4.92v

+3.3v: 3.29v

Memory CH A & B Voltage: 1.48v

Memory CH C & D Voltage: 1.50v

Processor Core Voltage: 0.82v

3.3v Standby: 3.32v

• 5. Re: Motherboard DX79TO slow PC
                  N.Scott.Pearson
                  1. Your board and processor have support for 4 memory channels. 4 DIMMs, one in each channel, will perform better -- but I am not saying this has anything to do with your performance problem.
                  2. You seem to have only one fan (processor) in the system (well, two counting the power supply). I would add more, preferably both a front/inlet fan and a rear/outlet fan.
                  3. Everything looks OK in the sensor readings except for the processor temperature. Did you do the Restore Defaults in BIOS setup and completely power off the system before taking these readings?

...S

P.S. I sent you a private message; please look at it as well...

• 6. Re: Motherboard DX79TO slow PC
                    arodi007

1. Ok, will do on next months since I already bought a motherboard and 2 RAM which is pretty expensive for me.

2. Ok will do.

3. Yes I restore to defaults in BIOS.

I hope my processor is not damaged,

The CPU is an ES version, it that causing these issues ?

• 7. Re: Motherboard DX79TO slow PC
                      N.Scott.Pearson

I thought I would post something here for closure of the issue.

I have been working offline with Arodi to try and resolve the sighting that he is seeing. Arodi's problems stem from the Engineering Sample (ES) processor that he has. In the simplest of terms, the BIOS is not set up to support pre-production processors. It has no Microcode Updates for this processor. Further, this processor is reporting temperatures at or above its Tjmax and this results in the processor being throttled.

I have recommended to Arodi that he get a production processor.

...S