10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2015 10:39 PM by CMDR_McD_RCAF

NUC D54250WYK - No Audio Out HDMI - Windows 10 Pre-release

jimwmiller1

Just loaded up the D54250WYK with Windows 10 Pre-release.  No audio can be heard into the LG  42LV4400 TV through HDMI (my other computer - ACER works ok into this cable).  Audio fine through the ear-phone jack. Used an Intel Tool to detect/load drivers but still no audio.  It does not detect that the HDMI cable is connected.  Any ideas??  Thanks in advance.

6/18/15: Update:

Incidentally, the Windows 10 Pre-release was loaded on the NUC without a prior OS installed.  Since then I've loaded Ubuntu 14.10 and most recently Windows 8.1.  In both cases the Audio worked fine and required no intervention.  I intend to reload Windows 10 after its released.  Hopefully it will work out of the box by then.  Windows 10 looked better than 8.1 - so hope they resolve these driver issues. 

• 1. Re: NUC D54250WYK - No Audio Out HDMI - Windows 10 Pre-release
          WillNUC

I had an identical issue yesterday and noticed in Device Manager I had a Generic Video Card and Generic Monitor. I also only had Realtek listed in Sound, Game and Video Controllers (No Intel Display Audio).

With the Video Card I clicked on Update Driver and Windows downloaded and installed the Intel HD5000 drivers. I think this made Intel Display Audio to reappear and it was just a matter of setting the default audio to HDMI.

Incidentally. I also installed the correct monitor driver (built in speakers) but not sure if that was needed.

• 2. Re: NUC D54250WYK - No Audio Out HDMI - Windows 10 Pre-release
            jimwmiller1

Hmmm... now you have me thinking about those drivers… I did download the Intel Utility that updates all the drivers. Also manually requested updates in under device manager and it said all was up to date. 

However, under sound it did see Realtek High Definition Audio.  Also my Display Adapter is shown as “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”. Not sure if it would be better to have something more specific to my LG 42LV4400 TV. 

I’ve just downloaded the Intel HD5000 drivers and this evening will try to reinstall.

I’m using a HMDI cable with a mini HDMI adapter.  Not sure if that’s best so a mini-HDMI to HMDI cable has been ordered and will arrive tomorrow.

I must say that using a Windows 10 pre-release has complicated this installation but not sure if that is to blame.   

Thanks so far… 

• 3. Re: NUC D54250WYK - No Audio Out HDMI - Windows 10 Pre-release
              NUCuser

I have the exact same model of NUC (add an H at the end) and have the exact same problem.  When I try to install drivers for the video card it tells me that I don't have the correct hardware.  I am indeed installing drivers for hd5000 and have tried multiple iterations of the drivers. 

"Microsoft Basic Display Adapter” shows itself updated to the most recent version but I know I need the intel drivers to be working for the hdmi sound to also work. 

HDMI cable is working otherwise, HDMI port on TV is working otherwise, everything was fine on 8.1 and problems presented themselves after upgrading to windows 10.  Anyone have any ideas?

• 4. Re: NUC D54250WYK - No Audio Out HDMI - Windows 10 Pre-release
                mjoyce4550

Windows 10 Pre-release is exactly what it says it is. It's pre-release software and, as such, not a finished product. You can count on having problems with drivers, features, etc. The first time I tried it on a D34010WYK, I couldn't get the Ethernet NIC to work. I'll be waiting a bit longer before trying it again...

• 5. Re: NUC D54250WYK - No Audio Out HDMI - Windows 10 Pre-release
                  NUCuser

Thats true but seeing as we are two months out from release i'm a little bit surprised that this would be an issue.

• 6. Re: NUC D54250WYK - No Audio Out HDMI - Windows 10 Pre-release
                    mjoyce4550

Why surprised? You said yourself that "everything was fine on 8.1 and problems presented themselves after upgrading to windows 10."

I had the exact same type of problem when I upgraded a 34010 from 8.1 to Win 10. The Ethernet stopped working.

Using a simple process of elimination, and assuming that no other hardware components were changed, a neutral observer would necessarily conclude that Windows 10 Pre-release is the likely culprit. Especially since it is not a finished product. Since there are likely to be a myriad of updates even after it becomes a released product, I could make a case that it will NEVER be a truly "finished" product. Right?

• 7. Re: NUC D54250WYK - No Audio Out HDMI - Windows 10 Pre-release
                      NUCuser

Software incompatibility with the world's major hardware manufacturer this close to mainstream release is a little bit surprising.

Yes, this is almost certainly an issue with Windows 10; the internet is also littered with windows 10 issues like this in which the problem is solved.

Sharing these issues no matter the state of software is a good way to brainstorm and save a future googler the trouble of having this same inane conversation you and I are having. 

And yes, you could make the case that no software is ever a finished product.

• 8. Re: NUC D54250WYK - No Audio Out HDMI - Windows 10 Pre-release
                        dougho

Just to chime in with my two cents worth - I encountered similar "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" issue on the latest build on an older Intel-based motherboard/processor/graphics (which resulted in display less than full 1920x1080).  You do not want that driver (even if it says that it is the latest and most appropriate).  The only way I was able to solve it was to go back to an older build which had the proper graphics driver working, then let "slow" updates occur until yesterday when it gave me the latest build.  Either they fixed the driver issue in recent days leading up to yesterday, or else the proper driver somehow stayed around through the couple intervening builds which I got "slow."  As someone mentioned, searching found other posts which talked about downloading some Intel driver for Windows 8.1 then unzipping and modifying some inf, dealing with signature issues, etc - I didn't bother with that.

Although my test system is not NUC, FYI the HDMI audio driver which automatically works now says Realtek.  I wouldn't expect to find driver in Intel's Download center until July 29th or later (I wouldn't use Intel's Driver update tool before then, either).

• 9. Re: NUC D54250WYK - No Audio Out HDMI - Windows 10 Pre-release
                          WillNUC

Just a quick update, today I upgraded my second NUC and when I tried to update the driver for "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" it refused like the OP's NUC.

I also had the no sound issue. This was in stark contrast to my other identical NUC which somehow allowed the device driver to update correctly

I downloaded the newest Intel Video Driver from Intel but it refused to install.

Eventually I discovered Start-Up options and under Advanced you can restart the computer with the option to "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement".

I restarted, went to Device Manager, chose "Update Driver" for the Display adapter and let it search on the Web. It successfully found one and installed the Intel HD5000 driver which also solved the missing sound issue (Playback Devices now included Intel Display Audio as an option).

Hope this helps if you are still stuck.

• 10. Re: NUC D54250WYK - No Audio Out HDMI - Windows 10 Pre-release
                            CMDR_McD_RCAF

ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver Go grab this and install it. It is a program that contains sound drivers that will fix it. It frustrated the crap out of me until I got this. Hope it helps.