12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 7:59 AM by CyberGhost

No Edison Drive After Failed Flash

mikejames

I tried to flash an Edision but it failed part way through.

The Edison drive no longer shows in the host machine.

I have a second Edison which does work when plugged into the same breakout board - so USB and Breakout board are working.

Is there any way to restore the Edison Drive on the bricked Edison?

• 1. Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash
          CMata_Intel

Hi mikejames

Have you tried with the flashtool lite or the flashall script method? These methods may help you to see again the device unit in your PC

The FlashTool Lite is this one: Flash Tool Lite User Manual | Intel® Developer Zone

And the flashall script depends on which OS are you working.

• In Linux:

1) Open a new Terminal session and run:

sudo apt-get install dfu-util

2)After that, you have to go to the folder where you have the latest files of the "Yocto Complete image" Intel® Edison Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone and run:

./flashall.sh

3) You will be asked to "plug and reboot the board". In that moment you need to plug your board and wait for the process to be done.

• In Windows:

1) Download this file-> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54378433/dfu-util/dfu-util.exe and put it inside the folder where you have the files for the image in your PC.

2) Use cmd.exe and go to the folder where you have the files and run the flashall.bat file.

C:\Users\Myself\Edison\edison-image-wwXX-XX>flashall.bat

3) You will be asked to "plug and reboot the board". In that moment you need to plug your board and wait for the process to be done.

• In Mac:

1) Open your Mac's terminal and type:

ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
          brew install dfu-util coreutils gnu-getopt

2) Download the latest Yocto image from: Intel® Edison Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone and decompress it

3) In terminal, go to the place the Yocto image was downloaded and run:

./flashall.sh

4) You will be asked to "plug and reboot the board". In that moment you need to plug your board and wait for the process to be done.

Try with these methods and let us know the results

Kind Regards;

CMata

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash
            mikejames

I'm using Windows.

Using Flashall I get the message

Device has DFU interface, but has no DFU functional descriptor

Cannot open DFU device 8087:0a99

Then time out.

It suggests using --recovery

but it says I need to install xfstk but with no clue as how to.

So I tried FlashTool Lite and it fails at about 30% claiming it can't communicate with the Edison.

• 3. Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash
              mikejames

I have now installed the Flash tool on a clean Windows 7 machine that has had nothing Edison related installed on it before and it fails in the same way.

The error message is:

06/11/15 10:07:18.671 INFO : [Port 0/1/1] Running `Wait for device with status pos on port 0/1/1` command

06/11/15 10:07:32.801 INFO : [Port 0/1/1] Command `Wait for device with status pos on port 0/1/1` succeed

06/11/15 10:07:32.801 INFO : [Port 0/1/1] Running `"C:\Program Files\Intel\Phone Flash Tool Lite\dfu-util.exe" "--alt" "u-boot0" "-D" "C:\Users\mike.james\Documents\edison-image-ww18-15\u-boot-edison.bin" "-t" "4096" "-d" "8087:0a99"` command

06/11/15 10:07:32.848 WARNING: [Port 0/1/1] Command `"C:\Program Files\Intel\Phone Flash Tool Lite\dfu-util.exe" "--alt" "u-boot0" "-D" "C:\Users\mike.james\Documents\edison-image-ww18-15\u-boot-edison.bin" "-t" "4096" "-d" "8087:0a99"` failed

06/11/15 10:07:32.848 INFO : [Port 0/1/1] Retrying `"C:\Program Files\Intel\Phone Flash Tool Lite\dfu-util.exe" "--alt" "u-boot0" "-D" "C:\Users\mike.james\Documents\edison-image-ww18-15\u-boot-edison.bin" "-t" "4096" "-d" "8087:0a99"` command

06/11/15 10:07:32.879 ERROR : [Port 0/1/1] Command `"C:\Program Files\Intel\Phone Flash Tool Lite\dfu-util.exe" "--alt" "u-boot0" "-D" "C:\Users\mike.james\Documents\edison-image-ww18-15\u-boot-edison.bin" "-t" "4096" "-d" "8087:0a99"` failed

06/11/15 10:07:32.879 ERROR : [Port 0/1/1] Flash failed (Command type: DFU)

• 4. Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash
                mikejames

I finally found the procedure that recovers the edison when it doesn't show the Edison drive in the host machine - and perhaps other "bricked" states.

1) download an unzip latest image

2) connect using a serial terminal (Putty in my case) and restart Edison

3) you should see the start of a boot sequence - if not then there is more wrong with the device that this will fix.

4) interrupt the boot by pressing Ctrl-C

5) enter the command run do_flash - this puts the Edison in flash mode ready to talk to flashall.

6) after edison has entered the flash mode run flashall on the host machine - change directory to the unzipped image folder and you will find flashall there.

7) wait - you can watch what is happening on the serial console.

8) when the reboot is complete - do a hard reboot (remove power) and it should all be working.

• 5. Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash
                  TJs

This is my exact problem, even with the phone flash tool, except I still can't get the Flashall.bat command to work.

So I was able to hit cntl-c on the boot up and get a prompt.  I can run do_flash, and then the edison ends with:

boot > run do_flash

Saving Environment to MMC...

Writing to MMC(0)... done

GADGET DRIVER: usb_dnl_dfu

and stops.....

If I run flashall.bat (with the dfu-util.exe in the directory), all i get is command prompt that repeats:

Using U-boot target: edison-blankrndis

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Please plug and reboot the board

etc...

I also have an unknown driver issue in device manager for USB download Gadget in other devices..

Anybody know how to re-flash this thing?

Update (10/21/15):  This originally occurred on a Windows 7 Lenovo work computer which has some group policy limitations.  It also occurred on a Surface Pro 1 with Windows 10, but this computer was using a USB hub due to having only a single USB port which may have been part of the problem.  Everything worked OK on a third Windows 7 machine and I was able to re-flash the board with an updated image. 

I have had one boot up event since that went into the continuous boot up loop, but I swapped cables and it hasn't happened since. So, there also may be a bad USB cable involved.  

• 6. Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash
                    CMata_Intel

Hi TJs,

Do you have updates in this? Have you been able to flash your board?

I suggest you to open a new thread with your question, also let us know which OS are you using on your PC.

Kind regards,

Charlie

• 7. Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash
                      MarcelG

I also have this same problem.

• 8. Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash
                        Flo1991

Had the same problem...

I fixed it on Windows by installing the right dfu-util (I am using Win 7 64 Bit and installed everything Intel offers for the Edison to try out everything)

dfu-util for Windows

to reflash the edison I used the flashall.bat in the image folder.

Hope it works for you.

• 9. Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash
                          MarcelG

Hey thanks for the suggestion, I used Flashing Intel Edison using only serial connection and wifi to get around it.

After the flash my Edison still does not show up in windows as a drive, but since the board is flashed as I wanted I won't worry about that for now.

• 10. Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash
                            siegfried

hello,

I have tried the flashall procedure, it ran successfully to the end but it does not work as before. I still have an expensive 8GB usbstick. It works somewhat erratic: 2 leds only light up when I use the data usb-entry. When i try to power it by the second usb port or by the dc-power I don't get any led to light up.

I am somewhat dumbfounded- it flashes but does not boot.

The machine is not dead, I get successful responses by phoneflashtoollite  and by flashall, - but it does not help at all.

Can You help me any further ?

Thanks

Siegfried

• 11. Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash
                              CMata_Intel

Hi siegfried

Which are the specifications of the power supply you are using?

Is this happening since the first time? O have you been able to use the board before?

Could you post a screenshot of what you get after using the Flash Tool Lite and the Flashall script?

Are you able to interact with the board through the Terminal Console? If you do, what is the output of running uname -a and configure_edison --version

Regards,

Charlie

• 12. Re: No Edison Drive After Failed Flash
                                CyberGhost

Thanks a lot... I fixed it...