14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2015 11:57 AM by N.Scott.Pearson

Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?

Jojje

I know the NUC5i3RYH/NUC5i5RYH/NUC5i7RYH support having both a M.2 disk and a SATA disk installed. But what about the new NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH? Reading through the Technical Product Specification it seems like there is a "One M.2 Module supporting M.2 2230 cards (key type E)" but it seems like it's only for a wireless module.

Can someone confirm?

• 1. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
          kevin_intel

This is interesting. This M.2 Port should work for Storage devices but I will check this and will be back with more information as soon as possible.

Kevin M

• 2. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
            Jojje

Did you find any answer? The NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH is starting to show up on distributors and I really want to order but not until I know if you can have both a M.2 and a 2.5" SATA installed at the same time

• 3. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
              kevin_intel

I did confirm this information and it is possible to use both at the same time.

• 4. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
                dmoo

I have a NUC5CPYH and it does not support M.2 as far as I can tell. Nothing on the board looks like an M.2 slot and the documentation does not list it. Just SODIMM and SATA III up to 9.5 mm.

• 5. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
                  mikec_intel

Both models have 1 M.2 2230 slot, Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 is pre-installed on it. It is possible to remove the wireless card and plug a SSD.

NUC5CPYH (kit), NUC5PPYH (kit)

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24956/eng/NUC5CPYB_NUC5PPYB_TechProdSpec04.pdf

Mike C

• 6. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
                    Ron2

1. On a new NUC5C5PYH, if the customer does not want any wireless capability, is it sufficient to unplug the wireless adapter from its M.2 slot, or must a change also be made in the BIOS settings?  If both, in what order should they be executed?

2.  What does the "2230" specification on the M.2 slot in this NUC mean?  Does it suggest any restrictions as to what type of M.2 cards can be plugged into that slot?

Thank you.

• 7. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Answers:

1. Just remove the component. Alternatively, within Windows device configuration, you can disable the component.
                      2. This is mostly an indication of the size of the M.2 board that can be plugged into the connector. Here's an article I found that talks about this: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/understanding-m-2-the-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/.

...Scott

• 8. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
                        Ron2

Scott,

Scott,

Thank you for the very helpful message.

I look forward to my first Intel NUC computer, coming up shortly.  I plan to evaluate the use of Intel NUC boards in fully shielded enclosures, for use by individuals who are highly sensitive to electromagnetic radiation. You may know that the international biomedical research community has published thousands of papers on the harm to health caused by electromagnetic radiation, including the type emitted by Wi-Fi and cell phones.  And the World Health Organization (IARC) has classified such radiation as a Class 2B carcinogen ("possible carcinogen").  At the moment, the wireless industry is so busy generating profits from wireless products that it is not interested in the harm being caused.  Eventually, the wireless industry broadly, and Intel in particular, will need to address these concerns with responsive products.  Smart companies will start doing so now.  There is going to be a huge new market for safe digital products.

It would be great if Intel could begin by offering at least some of its NUC boards, such as its value-leading NUC5CPYB and NUC5PPYB, in optional all-metal enclosures that are well shielded. I realize that there are some third-party enclosures available already that are all metal and that serve also as heat sinks so that no fans are requred for cooling.  This is a particularly desirable approach.  Unfortunately, there is no such enclosure yet on the market that accommodates the NUC5CPYB and NUC5PPYB, as far as I can determine.

Again, my appreciation for your message.

Ron2

• 9. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
                          Vincent_Law

bad news from my side: I've just bought the wrong M.2 ssd ("M key type" maybe)... it simply does not fit with the available slot that should be "E key type"...

...I'm not able to find any M.2 "E key type" SSD... so to me it seems quite impossible to replace the wifi card with additional storage.

please somebody tells me the trick

thanks in advance

• 10. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
                            N.Scott.Pearson

In the main M.2 connector, one of the chipset's SATA lanes is routed there to support SSDs. This is not the case for the secondary M.2 connector; no SATA lane is routed there. What this means is that the M.2 card that you plug into this connector would have to have its own PCIe-based SATA IC in order for this to work. I am unsure whether such M.2 SSDs exist; the ones that I have seen all rely on the SATA lane being supported in the connector. I found a M.2 card that provides such a SATA IC, but it isn't a standalone SSD; it has connectors for cables from a separate SSD/HDD/SSHD device.

...Scott

• 11. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
                              Semi69

Hey Scott,

N.Scott.Pearson schrieb:

I found a M.2 card that provides such a SATA IC, but it isn't a standalone SSD; it has connectors for cables from a separate SSD/HDD/SSHD device.

this are very great news to me, thanks!

Please share the the name or link to this item! I really need it! You are a genius!

Cheers

Semi69

• 12. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
                                N.Scott.Pearson

When I went back (to Amazon) and tried my original search, it didn't find what I (at least thought I) found before. I was able to find a number of Gen1 mini-PCIe to (2x) SATA cards, but no Gen2. The only possibility I could come up with was a Gen1 to Gen2 adapter that could be coupled with a Gen1 mini-PCIe to (2x) SATA card. I do not know if this combination is going to work, is practical or will even fit in the NUC chassis. Here are the (Amazon) links for these products:

Gen1 to Gen2 Adapter: Here

Gen1 mini-PCIe to (2x) SATA III Card: Here (RAID) or Here (non-RAID)

Hope this helps,

...Scott

• 13. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
                                  Semi69

Thanks Scott,

but those adapters has nothing to do with the topic in the first place! It will not work at all on the secondary M.2 connector.

The M.2 B Key slot support both, SATA and PCIe. And there is already a very easy adapter for that.

M.2 to SATA adapter

Akasa Max MT

-> Contents

But you actually nailed it already when you wrote:

In the main M.2 connector, one of the chipset's SATA lanes is routed there to support SSDs. This is not the case for the secondary M.2 connector; no SATA lane is routed there. What this means is that the M.2 card that you plug into this connector would have to have its own PCIe-based SATA IC in order for this to work.

If there is really an adapter for M.2 E Key with an PCIe based SATA IC on it and has a Sata Connector on it this would be THE SOLUTION.

I want to beleave you that you've found the right one at that time. So please keep searching for it to share it.

Also the questions is, if there is an adapter, can the NUC boot from this drive?!

Thanks

Cheers

Semi69

• 14. Re: Both M.2 and SATA in NUC5PPYH/NUC5CPYH possible?
                                    N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, that's what I could find that would deliver a (standalone) SATA Controller on an M.2 card - but, you're right, it's for the wrong M.2 Keying and entirely too large a solution to fit in the space available in the NUC anyway. That's what I was trying to point out (perhaps too awkwardly), I could not find a solution that delivered it all. Again, I could have sworn I saw one in my original search, but I must have been mistaken (perhaps not looking close enough) as I cannot find it now. I attempted a more exhaustive search just now but failed just as miserably. I did see a previous Google search for this very solution (perhaps from you?). I also found an article (here) that includes a table of M.2 SSDs and their keying requirements. I would love to see a more exhaustive list maintained somewhere - and I would love a compilation of *all* of the various types of M.2 cards available.

...S