3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2015 2:24 PM by jojoba

How to detect edison IP address on Yosemite?

jojoba

Hello all!

For the past 6 months I've been able to power up the edison and it always connects to my local network. Then I open my browser (Chrome in this case) on my Macbook, and type:

http://[edisonName].local

where [edisonName] is the name I gave my edison when running configure_edison --setup.

Then the browser would find the edison and present it's served up Device Information page which would list the edison's current IP address. Super cool!

However, I recently updated to Yosemite and the .local url no longer resolves. This makes it tricky to find the edison's url when in a congested network, or a new network for that matter. Has anyone else encountered this? It seems like I need to find a network setting somewhere on my Macbook and flip a switch. Thank you to anyone who has guidance on this one.

Cheers,

matt

• 1. Re: How to detect edison IP address on Yosemite?
          mhahn

hmmm - that's avahi / bonjour stuff. Maybe you have to configure bonjour?

• 2. Re: How to detect edison IP address on Yosemite?
            jojoba

Ah, that's a good lead. I'll look into this and post back findings.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: How to detect edison IP address on Yosemite?
              jojoba

Ok, I finally got around to looking at this. I had luck by doing the following on OSX 10.10.4:

0) Go to Finder

1) Hold all three buttons at once (command + shift + G)

2) Enter "/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.discoveryd.plist" into the text field

3) Press enter (which hopefully opens that file in a text editor)

4) In the file look for the section "<key>ProgramArguments</key>"

5) Remove the part that says "<string>--no-multicast</string>"

6) Save and close the file

6) Open Terminal

7) Run "sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.discoveryd.plist"

8) Then run "sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.discoveryd.plist"

Hopefully now when you enter the local url of a given edison in the browser (e.g. edison.local) it will resolve to the IP address of that edison. Otherwise it's a bit tricky to figure out how to shell into the edison, particularly if you don't want to usb tether it to your machine.

Hope that helps somebody!