Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Windows 8.1 Flickering - Intel 4600HD

JJans10
Beginner

Hi there,

My screen used to flicker now and then in Windows 8.1 while playing games. I just assumed it was a Windows setup issue (I went from Windows 8, to Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Update on the same installation).

The flicker would be a brief 1 - 2 seconds every now and then. Sometimes it would flicker every second on and off until I left the games. I then noticed that when I browse sometimes it would flicker and if I scrolled with my mouse it would flicker.

Anyway, my hard drive crashed yesterday and I installed Windows 8.1 cleanly... From scratch.

I seem to be getting the flickering all over again but this time in Browsers, Applications and Games... Even with the Windows 8.1 Taskbar Live previews.

At first I thought it was my NVIDIA GPU so I uninstalled that and disabled it in the BIOS.

Booted up into Windows 8.1 and had the same problem.

When I uninstall the Intel 4600 HD drivers, the problem disappears but when I restart Windows it installs the latest drivers and the problem start all over again.

I have tried downloading older versions of the drivers but they also dont work.

I have also downloaded the laptop manufacturer's drivers and they also do not work.

I seem to remember not having this problem immediately after my fresh install it just started this morning (a few hours after the install).

The flicker basically turns the screen black completely for a second.

I can simulate the issue by opening up Chrome, Outlook, Excel and Visual Studio and maximize the windows. If I run my mouse over each of the running applications on the taskbar, the screen would flicker on and off until I take my mouse off. So the problem seems to only affect full screen applications.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Or what could be causing it?

Regards,

Justin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JJans10
Beginner

Please help me... I am desperate. This is rather annoying.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Please disconnect the Video card and use the system with the onboard graphics for testing. There is more information I would like to verify from your system so please post here the system report, dxdiag report and graphics report. How to get it?

Dxdiag Report: Type dxdiag in Start Menu> open> Save> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

System Information: Click Start> Type System Information> Click File> Export> Save File> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

Graphics Report: Right click on desktop> Graphics Properties> Options> Drop Down Menu> Information Center> Save> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

Also, let me know what games are being affected with this issue.

I appreciate all information you can provide.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
JJans10
Beginner

Hi there,

Attached are the system information files you requested.

The problems occurs in most games.

At the moment it's happening in Counter Strike GO and Borderlands 2 and Borderlands Pre-Sequel.

I will disable the NVida card and do more testing.

Regards,

Justin

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you for providing this report. Checking it, I noticed your system is running with a very old driver version so I want you to update the graphics driver to the latest one.

Here you can download it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24964/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24964/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit

If you have problems during the installation, try these steps:

/docs/DOC-22542 https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-22542

Kevin M

0 Kudos