13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 1:50 PM by pilant

Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2

pilant

I having a really strange problem, and I'm not sure if it is the Windows 8.1 (Professional) host, the Galileo, or the micro USN -> USB cable.

Earlier this morning, after updating the driver on the Windows system (from the IntelGalileoFirmwareUpdater-1.0.4-Windows file) I was able to see the new COM port when I connected the Galileo to the host system.  However, now all I get is an "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" showing up in the Device Manager, which actually comes and goes.  There is no COM port.

I have tried power cycling the Galileo, unplugging and restoring the micro-USB / USB cable, etc. and nothing seems to cause the COM port to show up.  One thing to note, when I get the properties for the Unknown UCB Device and attempt to update the driver, Windows says the driver is up to date.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

• 1. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
          PabloM_Intel

Hi pilant,

What USB port of the computer are you using? Make sure you’re not using a USB 3.0 because the Galileo only works on USB 2.0.

Do you have any other micro USB/USB cable available? If that’s the case, try with this other cable.

Also, do you have access to the command-line interface via the serial cable?

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 2. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
            pilant

> What USB port of the computer are you using? Make sure you’re not using a USB 3.0 because the Galileo only works on USB 2.0.

I'm using a USB 2.0 port.

> Do you have any other micro USB/USB cable available? If that’s the case, try with this other cable.

I'm going to have to give this a try.  Although I do find it curious (maybe expected) when I set up a network sniffer looking to packets with the Galileo MAC (no IP) address, nothing turns up when I boot from the microSD card.  This may be expected, because I don't know the state of the default network configuration (if any).

> Also, do you have access to the command-line interface via the serial cable?

In theory, yes.  I'm using Tera Term connected to the COM port to try and communicate with the Galileo.  I'm not sure of the baud rate matters (I've tried several) or whether the Galileo has auto-baud detection, but I have never been able to communicate with the Galileo using the serial cable.  At least with the new system.  I never tried it with the Windows system I built.

- Mark

• 3. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
              pilant

Latest update.  It would appear there are problems, but most likely not with the USB cables.  I tried another known working cable and when I connected the Galileo to the PC using this cable, nothing I did could get the Galileo COM port to show up.  (I.e., no new devices appeared when I plugged everything in.)

To proof the cables, I tried connecting a Nokia 820 cell phone running Windows Phone 8.1 using both USB cables, and the PC had no trouble connecting to the phone; and exploring folders on the phone using the Windows Phone desktop app.  This would tend to indicate the cable and hardware are working.

So, back to the Galileo.

When I connect the Galileo to the PC using either USB cable, I am unable to connect.  With the one cable, the USB driver seems to think there is an unidentified USB device (which is in reality the Galileo).  With the other cable, the PC does not think there is any hardware (e.g., COM port) to be recognized.  This sounds very much like a driver issue.  The PC is running Windows 8.1 Professional.

Any thoughts?

- Mark

• 4. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
                PabloM_Intel

Hi pilant,

It seems to me that the firmware is corrupted. Why don’t you tried the Recovery Mode method, you can follow the exact instructions here Intel® Galileo Boards and Kits — Recovery Mode.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 5. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
                  pilant

See: Trouble booting microSD card with Galileo GEN 2

I have managed to build and boot a microSD system; although with Yocto, not the SDCard images.  Problem is still with the usb / serial port: now shows up, but can seem to get a driver (working).  I have one more thing to try with the SDCard files.

I can try the firmware reset, but given all other aspects of the card seem to work (LAN, Arduino "stuff", etc.) I'm not too hopeful.

- Mark

• 6. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
                    pilant

I just took a look at the firmware restore instructions, and see a major problem.  The instructions seem to require a working serial connection to the host PC.  Since getting a working serial connection going is my current problem, I don't think this will work for me.

• 7. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
                      pilant

Final attempt at using SDCard failed.  I tried using a different system (also running Windows 8.1 Professional), and when I hooked up the USB cable from the Galileo I saw the Gadget COM device.  Using the driver files from "IntelGalileoFirmwareUpdater-1.0.4-Windows" (which I used on the other system to connect to the Galileo board to update the firmware) the device name changed to "Galileo".  So far so good.

Attempting to boot the microSD with the SDCard bits "appeared" to work, but trying to connect to the "Galileo" serial port (COM3) resulted in no activity.  I set the baud rate to 115200 as recommended.

So at this point it would appear I have two problems.  First, the SDCard bit just don't seem to work for me.  Second, the various attempts I have made on my original nost system have left "stuff" around preventing the COM port from showing up when the USB cable is connected.  Unfortunately, I do not know how to *completely* uninstall the driver bits to start over.  (I suspect it will require some amount of Registry editing.)

- Mark

• 8. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
                        PabloM_Intel

Hi pilant,

I apologize for the late reply. Have you installed the FTDI drivers? You can download them from here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm. Also, could you please tell me which cable are you exactly using? This is to know if it works with 3.3V or 5V. The one we recommend for the Galileo Gen 2 is the FTDI cable # TTL-232R-3V3.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 9. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
                          pilant

> Have you installed the FTDI drivers?

I have installed several.  Mostly I've been using the ones supplied with the firmware upgrade (IntelGalileoFirmwareUpdater-1.0.4-Windows.zip) file.

> You can download them from here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm.

I can give these a try.

> Also, could you please tell me which cable are you exactly using? This is to know if it works with 3.3V or 5V. The one we recommend for the Galileo Gen 2 is the FTDI cable # TTL-232R-3V3.

I am using a standard micro-USB to USB cable.  From what I can see in the various documentation (SparkFun and others), this should work.  BTW, this is the same kind of cable I use to connect to an Arduino UNO as well as Raspberry Pi 2.  Although your question does raise an interesting point.  Does the cable need to have FTDI chip in the cable?  (I.e., a micro-USB to USB serial cable; rather than a simple cable.)  If so, I'm not sure why the cable would have worked for upgrading the firmware.  Also, the cable I'm currently using does cause a COM port to show up in the Windows Device list.

- Mark

• 10. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
                            pilant

Regarding the TTL-232R-3V3.  It appears this cable is *not* a microUSB <> USB cable.  Is this correct?  With the header on the cable, I'm not sure I even see where it could connect to the Galileo Gen 2.

Just curious.

- Mark

• 11. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
                              pilant

Never mind.  I just took a closer look and saw the pin header between the Ethernet and micro USB connectors.

So I can understand how this might "solve" the problem, but most everything I have seen for the Gen 2 board simply says to connect the Galileo Gen 2 to the host using the microUSB cable and with the appropriate drivers a serial / COM port should be available on the host.

- Mark

• 12. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
                                PabloM_Intel

Hi pilant,

Yeah, I apologize for the confusion, I was talking about the serial cable not the USB cable. With that cable you should be able to connect to the console without the need of the USB cable.

However, watching your other post I see that you were able to create a bootable SD card with the Linux image, and when you boot the Galileo with the SD two devices appear in the Device Manager, CDC Serial and Galileo. This CDC Serial refers to the USB cable. If everything went as expected with the image, you should be seeing some folders in the SD card. One is called Win-Driver. Now connect your board to the computer as you would normally do, go to Device Manager, then right click on CDC Serial and click on the Update option. When you’re asked for the drivers, choose the option to browse the file on your computer, go to the SD card from Computer and choose Win-Driver.

In summary:

Connect the Galileo board > Open Device Manager > CDC Serial (Right click) > Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software > Browse > “Removable Disk” (SD card) > win-driver.

Now you can check your Ports on the Device Manager and you should see a new port along with “Galileo”. This is the one you should be connecting to.

Regards,
                                PabloM_Intel

• 13. Re: Problems with serial communications - Windows 8.1 host to Galileo Gen 2
                                  pilant

I finally had a chance to get back to this.  It appears the various documentation out on the web needs some "help".  Using the microUSB to USB cable to connect the Galileo Gen 2 to my (Windows) host really doesn't work.  The host terminal program (Tera Term in my case) simply cannot connect.  This is the bad news.

I also just tried installing the4 drivers from the SD card I built.  The device manager is able to install the drivers, and COM3 shows up as an "Inten IoT Dev Kit Serial" device.  The bad news is I can't connect at any baud rate using 8-N-1 (data, parity, stop) settings.  If this should work, it would appear I still have something going on.

The good news is the FTDI cable mentioned above works great.  Not only was I able to boot the on-board Linux image I was also able to boot the Linux image I had created on the SD card.

I hope this will help folks avoid the trap I fell into.

- Mark