6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2015 2:39 PM by PabloM_Intel

Trouble booting microSD card with Galileo GEN 2

pilant

I've built a microSD card from SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2, and appear to be having trouble getting it to boot on the Galileo.

The microSD card is a 16 GB SanDisk card formatted as FAT32, and I unpacked the file to the card.  I had to move all the files from the image-full-galileo directory to the top level directory to get the files in the correct place (I believe).

When I attempt to boot the Galileo, there appears to be some SD activity, but even after waiting several minutes I cannot connect to the COM port using TeraTerm at any of the baud rates I tried.  (Although I'm assuming there should be auto baud detection on the Galileo, so the baud rate shouldn't matter :-)

I did update the Galileo firmware to 1.0.4 before attempting all this.

A Windows system I built earlier still boots correctly and I can see the board with the Galileo Watcher and I can telnet to the board.  So I'm assuming the board is working.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

• 1. Re: Trouble booting microSD card with Galileo GEN 2
          PabloM_Intel

Hi pilant,

Are you using 7zip to unzip the files? If not, you can download it from www.7-zip.org. Other distributions will not work as expected so 7zip is necessary.

Also, you can take a look at this thread where someone had a similar issue https://communities.intel.com/message/274699#274699.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 2. Re: Trouble booting microSD card with Galileo GEN 2
            pilant

> Are you using 7zip to unzip the files?

Since the SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2 is a bzip2 tarball, I used bunzip2 and tar to extract the files.  (I could have used a single tar command, but opted to use two separate commands.)  I did try 7zip, and all the files are the same.

After updating the Galileo firmware I was able to boot successfully a Windows based microSD card I made earlier, so I don't think the firmware is "broken".

I'll take a look at the other thread.

- Mark

• 3. Re: Trouble booting microSD card with Galileo GEN 2
              pilant

Looking at the other thread, I think I actually have two problems.  First, at some point, the microUSB - USB cable appears to have broken.  That may account for the strange USB error's I'm now seeing when I connect the cable even without the Galileo on the other end.  Second, prior to this (when I could reliably see the COM port), I still was not able to get to the Galileo using the table.

The other thing making me think it may actually be the files on the microSD card is when I boot the Galileo using this card there is absolutely *no* network traffic being generated having the Galileo's MAC address.  I realize this may be because the network has not been configured, so it is not definitive.

- Mark

• 4. Re: Trouble booting microSD card with Galileo GEN 2
                pilant

OK.  Another test performed.  I took the microSD card (in a USB "stick" holder; the same I used to write to the card) and tried booting the card in two different system.  One was my Lenovo W520 (i7) and the other an IBM x3250 M3 (Xeon),  As I understand it, the code to run on the Galileo (Quark) should run on these.  However, there appeared to be no attempts to boot from the USB storage device, even when explicitly chosen.

This, to me, usually indicates there is something wrong with the boot media.  In this case, either the files are corrupt (after a drag & drop from my Windows PC host) or are not in the correct "place".  I know some operating systems expect the boot files to be in a particular place on the media, and in some cases even in a particular format.  I don't know of the Quark boot mechanism has these requirements.

In any event, it would "appear" the files on the microSD card are not correct for booting.

Just to repeat, the microSD card I built with a Windows 10 system (for Windows based IoT testing) continues to boot fine.

- Mark

• 5. Re: Trouble booting microSD card with Galileo GEN 2
                  pilant

Some progress, after a fashion...

Using the instructions here: Making a bootable micro SD Card with Windows* | Intel® Developer Zone I created a new microSD card with the software it was supposed to; according to the web page.  Now the Galileo boots.  There is a *lot* more activity indicated by the SD LED on the board.

The Windows Device Manager now has two additions.  The first is the "CDC Serial" device under "Other devices" and the second is the microSD card as a disk volume under "Portable devices".  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get anything to work to load the driver for the "CDC Serial" device.

I tried the files I originally (successfully) loaded when the device showed up as a "Gadget..." device.  However, that driver doesn't seem to work.  I also tried the solution recommended for the Edison board (here Making a bootable micro SD Card with Windows* | Intel® Developer Zone and Intel® Edison Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone) also without success.

So it would appear the instructions for building a microSD card from the SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2 file are incorrect.  But, without going much deeper into the hardware than I have tools for at the moment, I can't say what the root problem might be.

- Mark

• 6. Re: Trouble booting microSD card with Galileo GEN 2
                    PabloM_Intel

Hi pilant,

I think my last reply in your other post also applies here:

This CDC Serial refers to the USB cable. If everything went as expected with the image, you should be seeing some folders in the SD card. One is called Win-Driver. Now connect your board to the computer as you would normally do, go to Device Manager, then right click on CDC Serial and click on the Update option. When you’re asked for the drivers, choose the option to browse the file on your computer, go to the SD card from Computer and choose Win-Driver.

In summary:

Connect the Galileo board > Open Device Manager > CDC Serial (Right click) > Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software > Browse > “Removable Disk” (SD card) > win-driver.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel