2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 7:01 AM by mhahn

menuconfig but seems no use

johnnyxiong

I have try to modify the edison linux kernel, but it seemed no use.

my steps are as follow:

1) bitbake virtual/kernel -c menuconfig

2) I remove network, SPI, GPIO supports just for test in menuconfig console UI and saved

3) I cp linux-edison-standard-build/.config  to linux/arch/x86/configs/i386_edison_defconfig

4) bitbake virtual/kernel -c configure -f -v

5) bitbake edison-image

6) run postBuild.sh

7) cp the files in toFlash directory to Edison in windows

login in Edison, but I still can ping and use wifi, etc. so it  seems that my modifications in menuconfig don't work.

where did I do wrong in above steps?

Thank you and wait some help.

• 1. Re: menuconfig but seems no use
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi johnnyxiong,

Have you tried making the changes manually into the defconfig file generated by the menuconfig instead? Also which BSP version are you using?

Regards,
          JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: menuconfig but seems no use
            mhahn

JPMontero_Intel wrote:

Hi johnnyxiong,

Have you tried making the changes manually into the defconfig file generated by the menuconfig instead? Also which BSP version are you using?

Regards,
            JPMontero_Intel

• you may use menuconfig - but you'll have to manually make sure the .config files come into the recipe at some stage [the .config will be generated within your /build/tmp/work/..../linux* folder] as a new bitbake will overwrite the .config from the defconfig file again
            • probably a cleaner way than overwriting the defconfig file directly would be to generate a patch / or bbappend config options; that way you can better see what you changed and easier transfer your changes to a new kernel
            1 of 1 people found this helpful