12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2015 8:20 AM by GMcCorkle

I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison

GMcCorkle

I----

Loaded the software.

Ran the flash utility successfully.

Edison and arduino breakout board are connected with dual USB cables.

Both COM ports are displayed.

Putty/Intel XDK/Arduino connections to either COM port of the Edison are both just staring at me with a blank screen, no output.

I've matched putty to the same speed "9600" as the ports in Device Manager are showing, and even tried the 115200 shows in the tutorials with no success.  The Intel XDK shows discover it with Bonjour but the IP is a private IP of the board, but I can't connect it via SSH because the wifi hasn't been configured and I can't configured the wifi because I can't serial connect to it to configure it.

Any ideas to help me get past the first obvious obstacle that I can't seem to find a way around?

• 1. Re: I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison
          GMcCorkle

Also, when running the iotdk_win_installer I have tried letting it install Arduino, Intel XDK and the "Flash image" but it keeps failing with "Integrity checking failed".

After running it a few times it finally installed the XDK and Arduino, but Eclipse just wont work.  I'm assuming I'll have to manually download Eclipse and install it.

The Flash Image wont succeed for the life of me.

• 2. Re: I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison
            GMcCorkle

One more item, just in case it helps.

When powering on DS1 blinks, DS2 goes solid.  Then DS1 goes solid.

From what I understand, DS2 should be off, yet it's always on.

DS3 never comes on.

Man I'm itching to get into this Edison.

• 3. Re: I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison
              GMcCorkle

I flashed it again using the Intel Flash utility. 
              It's back to booted, DS1 is green, DS2/3 are off. 
              Intel Edition Virtual Com Port ( COM6 ) and USB Serial Port ( COM3 ) are identified.

Still no Bueno over putty to either serial port.

• 4. Re: I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison
                CMata_Intel

Hi GMcCorkle

Which OS are yo using in your PC?

Also, in Putty: Use Serial>COM3>115200 . Have you tried with different cables or USB ports in the PC?

Regards;

CMata

• 5. Re: I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison
                  GMcCorkle

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

I've tried 3 cables, 1 of which was included in the starter kit.

I've tried my USB 2 ports, USB 3.0 ports and USB 3 charging ports.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but being that the furthest USB port from the power adapter is a USB Serial port, I should be able to connect that port to any machine, not necessary loaded with all the Edison drivers/IDEs, and connect to it via Putty.  correct?

• 6. Re: I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison
                    CMata_Intel

Hi GMcCorkle

In order to connect the board to Putty you need the FTDI drivers, probably it could be an issue with this, try to update these drivers from: Virtual COM Port Drivers

Do you also have problems while trying to upload the blink sketch through the Arduino IDE?

What is the output of trying to use Putty? Could you attach a screenshot of what you are getting when you try to connect the board with Putty? The other parameters you need for using Putty in Serial Mode, are:

Data bits:8

Stop bits: 1

Parity: None

Flow Control: XON/XOFF

Regards;

CMata

• 7. Re: I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison
                      GMcCorkle

I loaded drivers from the file CDM v2.12.00 WHQL Certified.exe.

Device Manager *****

devicemanager.png

Putty serial config *****

putty_serial_config.png

Putty COM3 config ( also tried on com6 ) *****

putty_serial_com.png

Putty output *****  ( I have hit many keys with no luck, even tried the special command > break )

putty_output.png

WP_20150605_006.jpg

• 8. Re: I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison
                        GMcCorkle

I'm in the process of loading the FTDI drivers on my Surface Pro 3, running Windows 10, to see if that makes any difference.

• 9. Re: I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison
                          GMcCorkle

Interestingly enough, the Arduino IDE does push the sketch without any issues.   the LED is blinking.

Bytes Sent:  75672   BPS:1426210                        

Transfer complete

#mv the downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf
                          Moving downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf on target
                          target_download_name="${host_file_name##*/}"
                          echo "Moving downloaded file to /sketch/sketch.elf on target"
                          #$fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "cp sketch /sketch/sketch.elf" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0
                          $fixed_path/lsz.exe --escape -c "mv $target_download_name /sketch/sketch.elf; chmod +x /sketch/sketch.elf" <> $tty_port_id 1>&0

Transfer complete

• 10. Re: I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison
                            GMcCorkle

The latest on this issue.  I walked away from the machine for 2 days and decided to come back to dabble with the temperature sensor through the Arduino IDE.  I reflashed the board and launched the Arduino IDE.  Being that the only way to see the serial output would be through putty or the IDE, I changed the port set the baud rate and it's now showing all the right data through Putty and the Arduino IDE.

I am able to login, run commands and see all the program output.

Thank you CMata_Intel for you help.

--"The worst resolution to a programming issue is when it fixes itself"

• 11. Re: I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison
                              juanB

Did you modify your pc ip configuration in order to stay in the same network as your edison?

For example, using the standard config for putty: your edison ip is 192.168.2.15, you need to set the baud rate to 115.200 and select the correct comX.

You need to go to your local network (not the wifi, the wired one) properties and set your computer ipv4 in something like 192.168.2.XX (change XX for the number you want for your computer) and set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

With this configuration, it must work.

• 12. Re: I must be missing something, can't putty to COM on Edison
                                GMcCorkle

No sir.  All of my local subnets are 172.x.x.x.  My desktop is hard-wired to my cisco switch, with the same access vlan as my main wireless SSID ( vlan 11 = 172.16.11.0/24 ).  Since I couldn't connect to it via COM to enable/configure wifi, my local network config couldn't have been an issue.  The IP ( 192.168.x.x ) of the Edison appears to be a default IP the NIC assigns when it's not connected to an access point.  The Intel XDK showed the device which I assume was discovered by Bonjour on COM6.

After that last flash everything worked flawlessly.  You can see from the screenshots, putty was configured perfectly using COM3 with a baud rate of 115200, so I'm at a loss as to why the serial interface wouldn't kick out any data unless it was a bad flash.  I have other COM ports I use for console connectivity to my networking equipment which was also working properly so putty couldn't have been the problem.

Since it's now working, I've already jumped in and started building apps using the analog/ic2/digital pins and interfacing with the 100+ sensors I purchased.

If you can't tell, I'm pretty dang excited.  I've been a software architect for 20+ years, working with C, C++, C# and Java but never dabbled in the hardware world.  I've already picked up several servos, ESC ( electronic speed controllers ) and motors to begin working on a quadracopter type device.  Add some axis, accelerometer, range sensors and I'll be driving my kids and dogs crazy in no time.

My kids have already asked me to pickup some water valve solenoid controls so we have some fun and build a water-park type setup in the back yard.

Looking forward to all y'alls expertise and ideas everybody.  Thanks for chiming in on the thread.