Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

Broadwell for desktop - LGA1150 Series 8 chipset support

NNiko6
New Contributor I

Hello.

I'm trying hard to understand why Intel doesn't allow Broadwell support by LGA 1150 series 8 chipset.

Why did you limit Broadwell support to series 9 only ?

Do you really think that owners of series 9 chipset motherboards will ever "upgrade" to Core i5 5765C or even Core i7 5775C ?

Those 2 SKUs would be a better upgrade for older Haswell CPUs on series 8 chipset than new Haswell Refresh on series 9.

Waiting for your feedback and your support for Broadwell on LGA 1150 series 8 chipsets.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello NikosD, for now I can only tell that Intel® 5th Generation Intel® Core Processors (Broadwell) were designed to work with Intel® 9 Series Chipset. I will let you know if this changes or if new information becomes available.

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

Now that the new 6th Generation Intel Core is out (Skylake) would it be possible to allow Broadwell to be installed in all 8 Series LGA 1150 chipsets and not explicitly to 9 series ?

Is there any time plan that you could announce ?

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi NikosD,

Intel Broadwell and Intel Haswell share the same socket type LGA 1150 but not the same technologies. Haswell works with 8-Series Lynx Point chipset compared to Intel Broadwell that uses 9-Series chipset. As CPU technology moves into Skylake I do not expect any changes on previous generation support.

I hope this helps,

VMirs
Beginner

Hi,

C226 series chipset uses Lynx point and does support Broadwell. I have 8-series motherboard and I5 5675C sitting on my table useless at the moment because of the situation.

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

Hello rguevara,

actually Haswell works fine with 9 series chipset, as it was made for Haswell Devil's Canyon.

It is obviously another "weird" decision by Intel, to not provide BIOS support to motherboard's vendors in order to properly handle Broadwell on 8 series chipsets.

Moving to Skylake should allow Intel to be more flexible with 8 series buyers who would like an easier upgrade to Broadwell instead of no upgrade at all.

The Broadwell support on 8 series will give a boost to sales, because there are practically zero Haswell owners who would upgrade to Skylake, so Broadwell will provide new sales out of nowhere.

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Broadwells are already plagued by troubles even on 9-series chipsets, Intel probably not wants to increase number of troubles by official support on 8-series chipsets. Intel likely dreaming about that Broadwells do not exists at all.

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

Moosi

Hello.

Do you have any links or official information that C226 supports Broadwell ?

C226 is for Xeons Haswell (officially)

Because I think Intel will turn your i5 5675C useless for ever and not for the moment.

0 Kudos
VMirs
Beginner

Hi Nikos,

Here is Xeon E3-1200 V4 pdf on Intel site: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-e3-1200v4-brief.html Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1200 v4 Product Family Brief. C226 Boards with newest BIOS do support E3 V4 a.k.a Broadwell. This is is just making business from the Intel perspective. H81 motherboards are cheap as dirt and Intel doesnt want to give greenflag for Broadwell support on the 8-series. This is weird because Broadwell is already a niche product and Intel would only benefit on the revenue side giving Broadwell support to the 8-series. I am already searching for second hand H97 / Z97 itx board and probably sell my I3 4150 B85 combo.