4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 10:13 AM by Dubster

WOL from S5 i5 NUC - cannot get it to work, but S3 does ?

Dubster

Hi guys

New to the NUC scene and trying to get WOL from completely switched off (S5?) state to work and having problems.

Running Windows 10 on it, but I figured the OS is irrelevant since the box is being woken from an off state where no OS is in play, but some posts I've read kind of indicate that the OS has a bearing on this stuff.  Can someone explain why that would be the case ??

Anyway, I can get the computer to wake from a suspend state using WOL but not from an off state, S5.

When I tick the Wake from S5 in Bios it expects a date and time, but I just want to do it on demand, surely that's doable ?

Tried ticking and unticking the Deep S4/S5 checkbox - no difference.

Baffled.

Anyone?

Thanks a lot

Scott

• 1. Re: WOL from S5 i5 NUC - cannot get it to work, but S3 does ?
          malch

Running Linux on my NUC 5i5 here and WOL from S5 normally works perfectly.

But not always when I have booted a thumb drive or not shutdown cleanly. And, that's where the O.S. can make a difference.

Basically, on shutdown the O.S. can program/enable/disable various power management features of the hardware. After shutdown, the O.S. is out of the loop but not before it configured the hardware.

So, if you have the BIOS set to enable WOL from S5, you might try exploring the various settings within Windows and the LAN drivers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: WOL from S5 i5 NUC - cannot get it to work, but S3 does ?
            Dubster

Thanks Malch that makes a lot of sense.

Could well be a Windows 10 thing then, I'll keep digging.

Just a further quick question then - on your NUC i5, when you switch on Wake On S5 in the bios, are you required to put a date and time in ?  Mine expects it, but if you just want wake on S5 functionality at all times then a datetime seems like it could be an issue.

Thanks again for your help.

S

• 3. Re: WOL from S5 i5 NUC - cannot get it to work, but S3 does ?
              malch

Dubster wrote:

Just a further quick question then - on your NUC i5, when you switch on Wake On S5 in the bios, are you required to put a date and time in ? 

No. You don't need "Wake System from S5" checked for WOL. That enables hardware wakes based on the Real Time Clock (RTC). Yeah, I don't think these captions are very clear either.

Here's a pic of my BIOS settings. Like I said, I'm running Linux but Wake On Lan (and wake from my IR remote) are working perfectly.

IMG_0301.JPG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: WOL from S5 i5 NUC - cannot get it to work, but S3 does ?
                Dubster

Thanks mate.

Definitely a slightly different screen to my NUC, but I've tried to set my settings the same as yours where poss and it's no joy, so that suggest it's definitely a Windows thing, which narrows my search.

Cheers