Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Display within browser windows corrupted. GMA 4500 Windows7 64bit. Affects areas outside of browser.

TBreu
Beginner

With increasing usage of new browser technologies this problem first occured with the new google maps and now is gaining importance for me:

Display corruption occurs on some web pages, such as google maps and some online games. Specifically the old google maps classics was not affected, but is no longer available.

The graphics appear smeared, shuttered, patterned across increasingly large areas. Text is rendered unreadable.

The windows frame areas (outside of content area) of IE11 and Firefox 38 are affected and contain bulky blocks.

The display in neighbouring tabs within Firefox are bugged. Overlayed windows such as Graphics Properties of Windows are affected.

Turning on Aero increases the problem.

No workaround is known.

Reproducable with maps.google.com by zooming in to street levels, waving the mouse around and over the icons at the bottom right within the maps. Zoom and rezoom. Once the problem occurs, it persists for that browser and windows that overlay that browser.

The problem recoccurs after reboot, occurs in browsers even without addons, and after clearing all caches.

Tested IE11 and Firefox 38 on Windows 7 Prof 64bit English SP1 with latest patches.

Attaching two screen shots from two separate occassions merged into one file. The glitches on the windows are not due to compression or copying - they actually occur on the windows areas outside of the content area.

The problem occured with old drivers, so I updated to driver version 8.15.10.2869, but there was no noticable change. I regulary run windows without aero (is turned off).

Any ideas on the cause or possible workarounds?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hi atomspace,

I'll try to replicate this on a GMA 4500 system with windows* 7 64bit and I'll see if I get the same behavior in order to give you some suggestions.

0 Kudos
TBreu
Beginner

Thank you for your kind offer.

I have added some details:

System GMA 4500MHD (Lenovo T500 with Intel Core 2 Duo P8400. 3 GB DDR3 SDRAM, no additional graphics card), external monitor 1900x1200 32bit color, default text size.

Reproduced in IE11 on maps.google with

1) Scroll map at street level with street names showing

2) Before repainting completely finishes (appears to depend on drawing, not on http requests being answered), move the mouse over the bottom right symbols.

Specifically the symbol "?" at bottom right (opens popup "Welcome to the new Google Maps") and/or adjacent symbols.

Map areas will show glitches (about 30% of the times I tested, but once the glitches show they are very noticable).

3) Place the IE11 window over or under a window of a different process. The window of the other process with show glitches.

Cross testing with a Core i3 processor based notebook with a highly similar software environment showed no problems at all.

0 Kudos
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hello atomspace,

I tried replicating this issue on a similar system with GMA 4500 and Windows7 64bit with different browsers, But I did not get the same results.

I would suggest uninstalling the driver and running the windows default drivers just to see what behavior you get, but this does not seem to be a driver glitch.

0 Kudos
TBreu
Beginner

Thank you, hansb_intel for your efforts, your clear answer and the solution.

I uninstalled the external monitor driver (not the notebook monitor driver), then the GM45 driver from the Windows device manager.

After a reboot the drivers re-installed automatically (drivers were not removed as files). A reboot was required.

The glitches can no longer be reproduced. I consider this solved.

Interestingly, previously the device manager had listed the device driver name without the "WDDM 1.1" notation.

The new driver name now is "Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)"

Cant say how I happy I am to have this solved after a long search.

0 Kudos
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hi atomspace,

I'll try to replicate this on a GMA 4500 system with windows* 7 64bit and I'll see if I get the same behavior in order to give you some suggestions.

0 Kudos
TBreu
Beginner

Thank you for your kind offer.

I have added some details:

System GMA 4500MHD (Lenovo T500 with Intel Core 2 Duo P8400. 3 GB DDR3 SDRAM, no additional graphics card), external monitor 1900x1200 32bit color, default text size.

Reproduced in IE11 on maps.google with

1) Scroll map at street level with street names showing

2) Before repainting completely finishes (appears to depend on drawing, not on http requests being answered), move the mouse over the bottom right symbols.

Specifically the symbol "?" at bottom right (opens popup "Welcome to the new Google Maps") and/or adjacent symbols.

Map areas will show glitches (about 30% of the times I tested, but once the glitches show they are very noticable).

3) Place the IE11 window over or under a window of a different process. The window of the other process with show glitches.

Cross testing with a Core i3 processor based notebook with a highly similar software environment showed no problems at all.

0 Kudos
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hello atomspace,

I tried replicating this issue on a similar system with GMA 4500 and Windows7 64bit with different browsers, But I did not get the same results.

I would suggest uninstalling the driver and running the windows default drivers just to see what behavior you get, but this does not seem to be a driver glitch.

0 Kudos
TBreu
Beginner

Thank you, hansb_intel for your efforts, your clear answer and the solution.

I uninstalled the external monitor driver (not the notebook monitor driver), then the GM45 driver from the Windows device manager.

After a reboot the drivers re-installed automatically (drivers were not removed as files). A reboot was required.

The glitches can no longer be reproduced. I consider this solved.

Interestingly, previously the device manager had listed the device driver name without the "WDDM 1.1" notation.

The new driver name now is "Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)"

Cant say how I happy I am to have this solved after a long search.

0 Kudos