3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 10:44 AM by DiegoV_Intel

Intel Galileo Firmware Update via LWM2M

Ashish9433

Hi,

I am trying to explore the LWM2M (eclipse/wakaama · GitHub ) firmware upgrade feature for which i need to know to if following things are available

1. Source Code

2. Build Procedure

3. Flash Procedure

I am aware that intel provides a tool for firmware upgrade but since i want to test the LWM2M feature of firmware upgrade i wanted to know the manual process of upgrading Intel Galileo Firmware via code/program.

• 1. Re: Intel Galileo Firmware Update via LWM2M
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi Ashish9433,

The source code for the Firmware Updater Tool is not available. However, there is an alternative method created by another user. It uses an Arduino sketch to program the SPI FLASH memory to recover it after a failed firmware update. You might find interesting the code of this Arduino sketch. This alternative method is described here: Galiprog

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Intel Galileo Firmware Update via LWM2M
            Ashish9433

Hi DiegoV_Intel,

Thanks a lot for your kind help.

I am aware of the Firmware Updater tool and as well as arduino sketch but what i am interested in is in Updating the firmware remotely via LWM2M.

Also on the below links, developers have tried to update application software remotely via LWM2M

https://github.com/ismagom/galileo-mqtt-lwm2m 

https://github.com/ismagom/lwm2m-galileo

And NetComm Wireless have developed a router in which they are remotely able to update the firmware of the device on similar lines i also needed help where in could update the firmware of Intel Galileo device remotely. Can you please help me with some reference with which i could achieve this?

• 3. Re: Intel Galileo Firmware Update via LWM2M
              DiegoV_Intel

Hello Ashish9433,

Updating the firmware remotely is not possible. In order to update the firmware remotely the board should be connected to the Wi-Fi network and received the data from it. That is what the applications in the links you posted do. However, when you update the firmware of the board, the board can't have any script running and the SD card has to be removed prior to power the board. This means that if there is no SD card, the board can't connect to the Wi-Fi (the SD card full image is needed for Wi-Fi applications) so sending data remotely would not be possible.

Regards,

Diego.