6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 1:59 PM by aaaaaaaaa1

Hotkeys for adjusting brightness in graphics control panel

Nihil

I have an external monitor connected to my laptop for which I have to open up the Graphics and Media Control Panel to be able to adjust the brightness. Needles to say, this is very tiring and time consuming. I would like to be able to adjust my external monitor's brightness just as I am able to adjust my built-in display's (laptop's) brightness by pressing the Fn + right arrow or left arrow keys on my keyboard. Currently, the Graphics Control Panel doesn't have the possibility of assigning a hotkey for adjusting the brightness.

I am using Intel HD graphics 3000, driver version 8.15.10.2418.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Hotkeys for adjusting brightness in graphics control panel
          kevin_intel

Hello Nihil,

The Hotkeys will make effect on the built-in display only. In this case, it will be necessary to change it manually or set the monitor with the correct brightness and every time you start the system, the eternal monitor should keep the changes.

• 2. Re: Hotkeys for adjusting brightness in graphics control panel
            Nihil

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your reply.

You mention that the hotkeys will only work with the built-in display, however, I can confirm that all the hotkeys are working properly with my external monitor (rotating, panel fitting etc.). The only thing keeping me from adjusting the brightness is that there is no such option in the Control Panel, and there is also no possibility of assigning a hotkey for this function, as far as I know.

I wonder if there's going to be a way of doing this in the upcoming updates of the Intel Graphic's Control Panel.

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Hotkeys for adjusting brightness in graphics control panel
              kevin_intel

I will pass this information to the corresponding department but you are correct, there is no way to change the brightness in the external monitor from the Graphics Control Panel.

Kevin m

• 4. Re: Hotkeys for adjusting brightness in graphics control panel
                Bryce@Intel

Hi Nihil

The short answer is, unfortunately this is a limitation that it cannot be controlled in the graphics driver CUI. Our driver does not have control over the backlight in the external flat panel (EFP) therefore you cannot map it to a hotkey.

The explanation is this: For external panels, the driver controls the bit stream of pixels that we send out of the display transmitter in the SoC. The backlight in the panel is separately controlled.

In contrast, in case of local panel, there are pins off of the SoC pulse width modulators (PWM) to the backlight on the laptop/tablet/etc.

.:Bryce:.

• 5. Re: Hotkeys for adjusting brightness in graphics control panel
                  Nihil

Dear Bryce,

Thank you for your answer.

You provided a very convincing explanation of how the driver is unable to control the backlight of an external panel. There is one problem with this, however. I am able to adjust my external monitor's brightness from the Graphics Control Panel by sliding the knob (or whatever that is) from left to right next to where it says "brightness". Now, I'm not a computer savvy and have absolutely no expertise in computer science, but that tells me that the driver is able to control the external monitor's backlight just fine. In the end we return to my initial problem, namely, that the Control Panel doesn't provide a possibility of assigning a hotkey for adjusting the brightness.

I apologize if I misunderstood something about your explanation, and will ask you to correct me if I have mistaken.

Thank you!

• 6. Re: Hotkeys for adjusting brightness in graphics control panel
                    aaaaaaaaa1

Nihil wrote:

You provided a very convincing explanation of how the driver is unable to control the backlight of an external panel. There is one problem with this, however. I am able to adjust my external monitor's brightness from the Graphics Control Panel by sliding the knob (or whatever that is) from left to right next to where it says "brightness". Now, I'm not a computer savvy and have absolutely no expertise in computer science, but that tells me that the driver is able to control the external monitor's backlight just fine. In the end we return to my initial problem, namely, that the Control Panel doesn't provide a possibility of assigning a hotkey for adjusting the brightness.

The color sliders in the control panel do not affect the backlight, they only affect the picture. The OS draws the screen, then gives it to the driver software to send to the video hardware to show. The sliders let you modify the picture before it is sent to the hardware. (Setting the brightness, gamma, and contrast sliders all to the maximum makes it so that the OS sends a blank, white image to the graphics adapter to display on screen, just as though you had manually sent a blank, white, fullscreen-sized image (e.g, if you make a picture in MSPaint that is completely white and size it to the screen, then view it fullscreen.)

That's why it works with the external monitor, because the drivers are lightening the picture before sending it to the graphics hardware to send out the video port to the external monitor. The external monitor’s backlight is not actually being affected at all (you can see the same effect by using a CRT which has no backlight, yet produces the same results without its buttons or knobs being touched.

Anyway, yes, you are correct, the Intel drivers do not provide a function for assigning hotkeys to the control panel sliders. This is very annoying because setting the backlight to maximum (or minimum) is not always sufficient. For example, looking at a dark video in the day can be extremely hard to see even with the backlight set to the maximum, or working in a mostly-white screen at night can be annoying even with the backlight set to the minimum. Opening the Intel control panel to mess with the sliders manually is a huge hassle, especially if you switch back and forth between programs and such.

I really cannot fathom why Intel would have left such an obviously necessary function out. All of the other graphics manufacturers provide the ability (I guess this is just another example of why Intel has no business doing graphics and should stick to CPUs).