5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 2:00 PM by Ndi

DG33TL

privjung

I have three Problems with my DG33TL [Using BIOS 572]:

1. After setting Memory timings to manual (333 instead of Auto: 400 MHz) the System does not power of after shutdown Windows.

2. An other Problem I have, is that after changing settings in BIOS and telling the System to reboot it hangs until i press 5 seconds the power off button or pull the plug

3. I tried the memory timings: 333. 8-8-8 18 then the system does not even start to BIOS althoug these timings are less demanding than the memory should be capable (PC2-6400 (400 MHz))

Could anybody help? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: DG33TL
          Ndi

Just because timing is more relaxed or "less demanding" it means not that RAM can work at that speed. You should check the RAM manual, specs from manufacturer or the SPD settings (CPUz does that, incidentally). If it wasn't listed to work at 333 it will not.

It is likely that newer and cheaper RAM will not maintain backwards compatibility, and if the DIMMS are not exactly overclocker material it's very unlikely they have multiple SPD settings, voltage levels and so on.

• 2. Re: DG33TL
            Span1shUk

Hi Privjung

Can you provide the exact model number of the memory?

Could you please clarify why you want to change the memory timings, and what exactly are you expecting to gain of it.

The reason I ask is: Understanding what you trying to do will help us to know what is best.

Regards

Span1shUk

• 3. Re: DG33TL
              privjung

Thanks for this answer. I checked with cpuz that 333 is allowed by spd. So this can not be the reason for such a beaviour. On other boards (for example Gigabyte) to take slower timings helped to make system more stable. I think its very strange that it ist not even booting to BIOS with manual timings.

• 4. Re: DG33TL
                privjung

Hi Span1shUk,

the reasen for changing the timings is the following: The Sytem worked (in Office) for about two years. Last tuesday it had had two or three bluescreens/different Problems (they are not shown in Eventviwer).

The strange thing was that after shuting down/pulling the plug and restarting the system the screen does not show anything (not even POST). (Changing the position of the BIOS Jumper helped after some tries).

One possible reason for this could be a problem wihth the memory. So I tried to change the timings

I use two Modules of the following type (cpuz):

DIMM #    2
                SMBus address  0x53
                Memory type  DDR2
                Module format  Regular UDIMM
                Manufacturer (ID) Samsung (CE00000000000000)
                Size  1024 MBytes
                Max bandwidth  PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
                Part number  M3 78T2953EZ3-CF7
                Serial number  7508ACC0
                Manufacturing date Week 26/Year 07
                Number of banks  2
                Data width  64 bits
                Correction  None
                Nominal Voltage  1.80 Volts
                EPP  no
                XMP  no
                JEDEC timings table  CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
                JEDEC #1  4.0-4-4-12-16 @ 266 MHz
                JEDEC #2  5.0-5-5-15-20 @ 333 MHz
                JEDEC #3  6.0-6-6-18-24 @ 400 MHz

The two things I changed concerning the instability was: BIOS update vom 267 and change of the Banks of the Modules. Since now I didn't hear about new Problems but its not too long ago since I made the changes.

• 5. Re: DG33TL
                  Ndi

The MB supports 333 and 400 as per specs.

If you have set the RAM to 333 5-5-5-20 (IIRC) then it should have worked. Swapping slots is a good idea, but, in general, components can make other components not work. Since the PC was already unstable, it might have pushed it over the edge.

If you are still trying to fix the issue, I recommend running MemTest overnight. That will eliminate doubts on RAM. And if it doesn't, your (pretty much) last resort would be to swap the RAM for another PC with equivalent DIMMs and see which borks. If the RAM works in the board at 333, it's the RAM, and viceversa.

Note that lowering frequency doesn't fix stability unless it's memory speed related, if you have stability issues you should try looking into other sources - MemTest for the RAM, a swap of the DIMMS and, not least, cooling and power. A fading power supply does very odd things to a PC.

Message was edited by: Ndi (spell)