8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 1:21 PM by TerminusAvid

Major Problems After Windows 7 Install, Windows Stops Booting?

TerminusAvid

Hey Guys,

I'm a new member here and I'm posting this question because I wasn't able to find answers throughout the rest of the forum (I apologize if this question has already been asked but if so I wasn't able to find it). Long story short I'm able to install Windows 7 64-Bit onto my new Intel X25-M 80GB G2 SSD but within a day (and sometimes within hours) my system becomes unable to boot into Windows? I have now installed Windows 7 six times in the last 4 days, each time I have the same issue. Once this happens I am unable to repair the drive and get back into Windows despite my best efforts! Below is a list of the things I have tried,

1. Booting into "Safe Mode".

2. Installing the Windows 7 installtion DVD and using the "Windows Recovery Utility".

3. System Restore.

4. Tried installing the SSD onto different SATA ports.

5. Installed Windows via "Enhanced IDE" setting and "AHCI" settings, the problems happens on both.

6. The SSD has got the latest firmware 02G9

7. I've got the latest BIOS on my motherboard.

8. Last but not least I'm able to install Windows on my VelocipRaptor with no issues at all?

Has anyone else had this issue or have any idea what might be causing it? I've got about 20-days left before I can't RMA the drive for a replacemnt. I'd like to try and get it working before RMA'ing for a replacment drive (since Windows can be installed without issues I don't beleive its the actual drive which is causing this issue (but then again I'm not sure). Thanks for any and all help you guys can give, it is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Major Problems After Windows 7 Install, Windows Stops Booting?
          redux

I’ve just experienced the same problem with a g2 160gb. I’ve been running a beta version of win 7 with no problem. I do a fresh install of a retail version of win 7 with no problem. When I reboot however the drive “disappears,” although I can see it in the BIOS. If I try to reinstall win 7 the drive is not seen. I can however run hdderase, which then enables the drive to be seen again during a win 7 install. The only problem is the drive disappears again each time the drive reboots.

Guess I can try a win 7 beta install or maybe vista, but this seems more like a problem with the drive rather than win 7….

(Same this happens in ide (compatible) & AHCI mode. I’ve got a good quality power supply and the drive has not been subject to static shock.)

• 2. Re: Major Problems After Windows 7 Install, Windows Stops Booting?
            TerminusAvid

Hey Redux,

Thanks for posting in my thread although I'm sorry to hear about the problems your having (especially since I know how frustrating they can be)! With that said I feel strongly that I solved the issue I was having. Long story short everytime I installed my OS (Windows 7 64-Bit build 7100) I would install it with my BIOS set to "Enhanced IDE Mode". Than once I got into Windows and finished installing my chipset drivers I would switch to "AHCI Mode". It was always after doing this that I'd start having major problems.

From what I have read switching to "AHCI Mode" after a Windows install can be tricky if not done properly. I spent many hours online researching how to switch to "AHCI Mode" after Windows is installed and there are probably a 100 different ways to make it happen. I think the method I was using (where I just went into "regedit" and manually started the "AHCI" driver) was not a good way to switch modes (even though it seemed to work just fine initially).

Since getting my X25-M 80GB G2 SSD drive I installed Windows a total of 9 times and 8 of those ended in failure and frustration! However I decided to try installing the OS one more time (before giving up and selling the drive) and I'm glad I did because ever after 3-days of use its still working great! The only thing I did differently this time was not changing "Enhanced IDE Mode" to "AHCI Mode" once Windows was installed!

I will be buying a full retail version (non-upgrade version) of Windows 7 64-Bit Professional in the next few days and I'll once again do a clean install of it after running HDDERASE 3.3 ( to do an Enhanced Erase). This time however I'm going to load the "AHCI" driver during the Windows install process (by pressing F6 during the install so that Windows loads that driver right off). I very much hope that works because I truly want to use "AHCI" mode since it has benefits over "Enhanced IDE Mode". I think all this trouble and frustration is worth it however because of how fast these drives are compared to regular mechanical drives!

I don't know from what you wrote if this will be helpful for you but I experienced the same exact problems as you each and everytime I switched to "AHCI" mode. Please post back with your progress if you get the time, I'm curious to know how you make out!

• 3. Re: Major Problems After Windows 7 Install, Windows Stops Booting?
              valdir

Hi Terminus,

You can install W7 directly with BIOS set to AHCI, since W7 (RC or retail) already has all the needed drivers. In fact, if we try to load any AHCI driver during installation (at least for the RC) the result is a BSOD.

I dont know if this is the way you are using to change from IDE to AHCI, but you must enable the W7 AHCI driver before you change the mode, by editing the registry: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976/en-us

I have tried both ways without any problems.

I hope this help.

• 4. Re: Major Problems After Windows 7 Install, Windows Stops Booting?
                TerminusAvid

Thanks very much valdir for that information because I actually tried to load W7 with the AHCI drivers on my flash drive during the install process and got BSOD (and had no idea why)! After multiple days research and trial and error I learned about the method you mentioned (by starting the Msahci driver via registry before switching BIOS to AHCI Mode). Its funny because before I learned about this method (starting driver via registry) I tried all kinds of extremely complicated methods for enabling AHCI after W7 install (it makes me wonder why that method isn't the first one that comes up when you google AHCI), lol! Thank you very much valdir for taking the time to both read my question and post a great reply, its very much appreciated!

• 5. Re: Major Problems After Windows 7 Install, Windows Stops Booting?
                  valdir

Hi Terminus,

You're welcome. You are rigth, there are many methods said to change, in Windows, from IDE to AHCI, i've tried a few with no good resuls; the only one that worked flawlessly for me is the MS one. By the way, i've also tried to go backwards from AHCI back to IDE and did many experiments but to no avail.

On another note, i think we are kind of guinea-pig of being "early" adopters of SSD and W7, and there are questions i have not found answers to, for instance:

- my Intel 80 GB G1 SSD gradually developed 7 "bad sectors" after using HDDerase and formating it during W7 install; it just should'nt have happened. i have 2 much abused Velociraptors that worked flawlessy in raid for almost 2 years, without any 'bad" sectors. And we have not, until today, the much announced and expected TRIM support.

Regards,

valdir

• 6. Re: Major Problems After Windows 7 Install, Windows Stops Booting?
                    TerminusAvid

Thanks again Valdir! You bring up some very good points about being "early adopters" of both SSD's and W7 (although I consider myself a late adopter since I only recently got an SSD drive), lol! Like you I upgraded from a very abused VelociRaptor that gave me a solid year of flawless use with no problems what-so-ever (if I hadn't been able to get W7 and my SSD working together I was ready to switch back to my trusty VelociRaptor), thankfully that wasn't needed (at least not yet)! Now that I've been able to use the drive for a few days I'm quite impressed with the performance (and not just from benchmarks). My computer truly feels more responsive and things like game loading and reboots take markedly less time.

You mentioned TRIM at the end of your post, do you have any information regarding if TRIM support is now enabled in the retail version of W7 (or updates to BETA versions to enable TRIM support)? I wasn't able to get any information on this although I only spent about 40min searching? I've also been checking Intels "Download" section regulary to look for updated Firmware for TRIM support on SSD's but nothing yet? Last but not least, I've been told that only "Postville" Intel SSD's will be capable of TRIM support. First of all do you know what "Postville" means, is that a codename for "G2" drives or some kind of new Intel SSD?

I realize I'm asking many questions but its rare that I meet someoneo who is very knowledgable about this stuff so I'm trying to take advantage of it for as long as I can, lol! Thanks very much Valdir and hope to hear from you again.

Roger

• 7. Re: Major Problems After Windows 7 Install, Windows Stops Booting?
                      valdir

Hi Roger,

Sorry for the late reply, but i took some days for a short trip and came back today.

Regarding your questions, i'm not an ssd expert but only someone interested in a device that really improves the pc's performance, so don't take my memories on Postville for granted: it was the codename for the new (at the time) Intel 34 nm (the press oscillated between 32 and 34 nm) mainstream SSD NAND flash memory family, before the official launching of the now named G2 devices.

The G2 SSD chips are made by Intel Micron Flash Technologies, an Intel and Micron joint venture and interestingly the name Postville does not appears on the Intel official documents about the G2 drives.

And yes, Intel is supposed to give TRIM support only in the G2 drives, despite the requests and noise made by the press and G1 owners... to see what happens.

The press also announced a 320 GB Postville drive, yet today to be launched, but i suppose the troubled inicial launch (the BIOS drive password problem and the halt of drives shipment until they corrected the FW), delayed the 320 GB drives.

Regarding the TRIM command, both RC and retail W7 support it and it's enabled by default.

An easy way to confirm that TRIM is enabled in your copy of W7 is the command (in a prompt with administrator rights): "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify", which should return a "0".

In my retail copy of W7, TRIM is enabled, but contrary to MS statements, disk defragmentation was not disabled and i had to rapidly disable it, including, by security, the corresponding service.

Regards,

valdir

• 8. Re: Major Problems After Windows 7 Install, Windows Stops Booting?
                        TerminusAvid

Valdir,

Your message came at a good time because it reminded me to check Intel's website for the new X25-M 34nm firmware update, fortunately its now available (02HA) which I assume allows to the drive to take advantage of W7's TRIM commands. Plus I used the command you gave me "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" and it returned a "0". I just finished downloading the Intel FW updater and burned the ISO file to disk so as soon as I submit this message I'm going to try upgrading the firmware and hope that TRIM will now be implimented!

By the way thanks for explaining to me the story behind "Postville", I just assumed it was some special new Intel SSD drive (didn't realize it was just early jargon for the G2 drives). You mentioned that in your retail copy of W7 TRIM was enabled but you had to manually disable "Disk Defragmentation", well your not the only one. I've installed W7 many times since getting my SSD and each time it was different (in regards to what services were disabled and enabled). This last time I had to manually disable "Disk Defragmentation" and "Indexing" (even though both services were automatically disabled the last time I installed W7)?

Well I'll post back later about my Firmware update and TRIM support (wish me luck)! I hope that updating my SSD's firmware doesn't corrupt the OS!