cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Problems After Windows 7 Install, Windows Stops Booting?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey Guys,

I'm a new member here and I'm posting this question because I wasn't able to find answers throughout the rest of the forum (I apologize if this question has already been asked but if so I wasn't able to find it). Long story short I'm able to install Windows 7 64-Bit onto my new Intel X25-M 80GB G2 SSD but within a day (and sometimes within hours) my system becomes unable to boot into Windows? I have now installed Windows 7 six times in the last 4 days, each time I have the same issue. Once this happens I am unable to repair the drive and get back into Windows despite my best efforts! Below is a list of the things I have tried,

1. Booting into "Safe Mode".

2. Installing the Windows 7 installtion DVD and using the "Windows Recovery Utility".

3. System Restore.

4. Tried installing the SSD onto different SATA ports.

5. Installed Windows via "Enhanced IDE" setting and "AHCI" settings, the problems happens on both.

6. The SSD has got the latest firmware 02G9

7. I've got the latest BIOS on my motherboard.

8. Last but not least I'm able to install Windows on my VelocipRaptor with no issues at all?

Has anyone else had this issue or have any idea what might be causing it? I've got about 20-days left before I can't RMA the drive for a replacemnt. I'd like to try and get it working before RMA'ing for a replacment drive (since Windows can be installed without issues I don't beleive its the actual drive which is causing this issue (but then again I'm not sure). Thanks for any and all help you guys can give, it is greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've just experienced the same problem with a g2 160gb. I've been running a beta version of win 7 with no problem. I do a fresh install of a retail version of win 7 with no problem. When I reboot however the drive "disappears," although I can see it in the BIOS. If I try to reinstall win 7 the drive is not seen. I can however run hdderase, which then enables the drive to be seen again during a win 7 install. The only problem is the drive disappears again each time the drive reboots.

Guess I can try a win 7 beta install or maybe vista, but this seems more like a problem with the drive rather than win 7….

(Same this happens in ide (compatible) & AHCI mode. I've got a good quality power supply and the drive has not been subject to static shock.)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey Redux,

Thanks for posting in my thread although I'm sorry to hear about the problems your having (especially since I know how frustrating they can be)! With that said I feel strongly that I solved the issue I was having. Long story short everytime I installed my OS (Windows 7 64-Bit build 7100) I would install it with my BIOS set to "Enhanced IDE Mode". Than once I got into Windows and finished installing my chipset drivers I would switch to "AHCI Mode". It was always after doing this that I'd start having major problems.

From what I have read switching to "AHCI Mode" after a Windows install can be tricky if not done properly. I spent many hours online researching how to switch to "AHCI Mode" after Windows is installed and there are probably a 100 different ways to make it happen. I think the method I was using (where I just went into "regedit" and manually started the "AHCI" driver) was not a good way to switch modes (even though it seemed to work just fine initially).

Since getting my X25-M 80GB G2 SSD drive I installed Windows a total of 9 times and 8 of those ended in failure and frustration! However I decided to try installing the OS one more time (before giving up and selling the drive) and I'm glad I did because ever after 3-days of use its still working great! The only thing I did differently this time was not changing "Enhanced IDE Mode" to "AHCI Mode" once Windows was installed!

I will be buying a full retail version (non-upgrade version) of Windows 7 64-Bit Professional in the next few days and I'll once again do a clean install of it after running HDDERASE 3.3 ( to do an Enhanced Erase). This time however I'm going to load the "AHCI" driver during the Windows install process (by pressing F6 during the install so that Windows loads that driver right off). I very much hope that works because I truly want to use "AHCI" mode since it has benefits over "Enhanced IDE Mode". I think all this trouble and frustration is worth it however because of how fast these drives are compared to regular mechanical drives!

I don't know from what you wrote if this will be helpful for you but I experienced the same exact problems as you each and everytime I switched to "AHCI" mode. Please post back with your progress if you get the time, I'm curious to know how you make out!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey Redux,

Thanks for posting in my thread although I'm sorry to hear about the problems your having (especially since I know how frustrating they can be)! With that said I feel strongly that I solved the issue I was having. Long story short everytime I installed my OS (Windows 7 64-Bit build 7100) I would install it with my BIOS set to "Enhanced IDE Mode". Than once I got into Windows and finished installing my chipset drivers I would switch to "AHCI Mode". It was always after doing this that I'd start having major problems.

From what I have read switching to "AHCI Mode" after a Windows install can be tricky if not done properly. I spent many hours online researching how to switch to "AHCI Mode" after Windows is installed and there are probably a 100 different ways to make it happen. I think the method I was using (where I just went into "regedit" and manually started the "AHCI" driver) was not a good way to switch modes (even though it seemed to work just fine initially).

Since getting my X25-M 80GB G2 SSD drive I installed Windows a total of 9 times and 8 of those ended in failure and frustration! However I decided to try installing the OS one more time (before giving up and selling the drive) and I'm glad I did because ever after 3-days of use its still working great! The only thing I did differently this time was not changing "Enhanced IDE Mode" to "AHCI Mode" once Windows was installed!

I will be buying a full retail version (non-upgrade version) of Windows 7 64-Bit Professional in the next few days and I'll once again do a clean install of it after running HDDERASE 3.3 ( to do an Enhanced Erase). This time however I'm going to load the "AHCI" driver during the Windows install process (by pressing F6 during the install so that Windows loads that driver right off). I very much hope that works because I truly want to use "AHCI" mode since it has benefits over "Enhanced IDE Mode". I think all this trouble and frustration is worth it however because of how fast these drives are compared to regular mechanical drives!

I don't know from what you wrote if this will be helpful for you but I experienced the same exact problems as you each and everytime I switched to "AHCI" mode. Please post back with your progress if you get the time, I'm curious to know how you make out!