7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2017 3:01 AM by rei_vilo

Edison MCU roadmap?

mjka

I am really happy that the MCU on Edison is now available. I really think that the architecture of Edison is great for many applications.

However, I struggle with the limitations of the MCU SDK.

I have several projects, where Edison could be useful. But in each case, at least one of the limitations makes it nearly impossible:

• slow GPIO (~1000 cycles to write or read one GPIO)
      • slow host_send()  (~1ms to send enqueue single byte to host!)
      • no SPI
      • no threads
      • no timers
      • no floating point
      • impractical development (no debugging, reboot Linux to load MCU code)

Is there a roadmap, which of the limitations will be resolved in future releases?

• 1. Re: Edison MCU roadmap?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi mjka,

The MCU roadmap is not currently available publicly. We will be able to provide additional information once it becomes available.

Regards,
          JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: Edison MCU roadmap?
            VladimirAkopyan

Guys, if you are marketing edison as a IoT device, you should really soup up the support. Look at BeagleBone black for an example, their hardware is inferior, but their documentation and support is amazing, and that's why everyone is using it.

Additionally, it would be very helpful if you let us know whether you intend on correcting any of limitations, so we know if we should invest our professional time.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Edison MCU roadmap?
              rei_vilo

The latest release of the MCU SDK is still 1.0.10 dated April 2015!

Shall we understand the Intel Edison MCU SDK no longer supported?

• The MCU application update requires a Linux reboot.
              • Due to the limitations of the current Viper OS release, the MCU OS tick value is 10 ms.

Current limitations make it almost impossible to use for real-time applications.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Edison MCU roadmap?
                VladimirAkopyan

I agree, we have a project with very modest needs, and we still can't use it. Ended up using an ATmega instead of Edison MCU. And I am sorry, but when your MCU is beaten by an Arduino, it's not usefull.

• 5. Re: Edison MCU roadmap?
                  rei_vilo

The 2 boards featuring MPU + MCU I'm using are:

• The Udoo Neo is based on the SoC Freescale i.MX 6SoloX with a 1 GHz Cortex-A9 MPU and a 227 MHz Cortex-M4 MCU on a single chip. The Cortex-M4 can be programmed, started and stop on the fly! Read my review.
                  • The Arduino Tian is very close to the Arduino Yun except the old 8-bit ATMega328 is replaced by a 32-bit Atmel Cortex-M0 SAMD21G18. Find my review here.

Both boards feature the standard Uno form-factor and connectors, and address the issues reported on my earlier post.

Any answer from Intel, or should we understand Intel has abandoned the Edison?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Edison MCU roadmap?
                    VladimirAkopyan

Did you have a chance to compare both Udoo Neo and Tian to edison in terms of performance? What do you think?

Also, I have recently come across latter panda - it's a quad core atom and atmega32U4 on one circuitboard - did you ever get a chance to work with that?

• 7. Re: Edison MCU roadmap?
                      rei_vilo

Hard to answer. Is there a utility to compute a standardised performance index? Which application do you have in mind?

I haven't tested the Latte Panda yet.

intel_corp, Does the absence of answers from Intel mean the Edison MCU is no longer supported?