3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2015 7:03 PM by mark_h_@intel

Is there a Linux version of Intel Driver Update Utility?

markfilipak

Thank You.

• 1. Re: Is there a Linux version of Intel Driver Update Utility?
          mark_h_@intel

For now the utility only supports Windows. There is no near-term plan to have a version for Linux, but it might happen someday.

Mark

• 2. Re: Is there a Linux version of Intel Driver Update Utility?
            markfilipak

That's too bad.

I was recently directed by Intel support to the Intel Driver Update Utility. It is proving to be a God-send because the laptop manufacturer is callus/stupid and Microsoft stonewalls me. I imagine regarding Linux (which I'm considering installing in lieu of Win7), that I'll be totally at the mercy of the kernel developers. That would be okay if I could check for the existence of Linux drivers in advance, but I can't even determine what hardware is in the laptop. Lately, everything's become so secretive and proprietary that I'm actually considering deleting computers from my life. That's pretty drastic because I'm a BSEE and I've had a personal computer since my IMSAI-8080 in 1975.

• 3. Re: Is there a Linux version of Intel Driver Update Utility?
              mark_h_@intel

You should be able to see the hardware list of the Intel components by running the Intel® System Identification Utility. Run it from the button on this page: Identify your Product. Some Linux drivers are available in Intel® Download Center. Many drivers are in the distributions, but I wouldn't be much help in giving any specific advice. I've been lucky enough in the few distributions I've installed in the past, everything worked, but I haven't installed Linux in years.

Personally, I've been happy using Windows (including 8 and 8.1), but they did take some adjustment and I rarely use the new applications. I'm always on the old desktop doing most (but not all) things from that desktop. I'm sure I could get used to Linux too, but I haven't wanted to put forth the effort. And I need to keep up my expertise using Windows.

If you do move to Linux, I'd love to hear about your experience here.

Cheers,
              Mark