I faced the similar problem while upgrading my 32bit SP2 to SP3.The problem was not of any hardware but of the permissions in Win XP. The same was resolved by down loading a small utility - "Dial-a-fix". Go for a google search and you'll get it. Run the permissions in the said utility and then install SP3. I'm sure you'll be through. Please do confirm after your problem is resolved.
Thank you for the reply. I checked the Bios and the HD is set for IDE. Battleaxe - I have downloaded the Dial-a-fix software but don't have a clue as to how to run it. I don't have a floppy drive, so do I have to put on a CD but if that is not bootable, what do I do? This is the first time I have built a machine and everything seems to check out just fine except this problem.
Still cannot get my situation figured out. I downloaded windiag from msft for memory checking and booted from that CD. Ran all the extensive tests and passed flawlessly. Went back to trying to install Win xp pro 32 bit and re-booted at the same place. I am running out of options and don't know what to do. Any body else out there with an idea of fixing this issue? Thanks.
Have you tried to cross test with another operating system?
Were exactly is the operating system installation stopping?
Does always stopping in the same place or is a random?
Did you run a memory check? Find below a utility that runs memory checks.
Select the free download option
The reboot is happing in exactly the same place - I even tried another Win XP pro sp3 install disk, did a complete reinstall including formatting the HD and did the same thing. Here is where it reboots:
Collecting information - OK
Dynamic update - OK
Preparing installation - OK
Installing windows (39 minutes left). Below this a bar shows up under the words loading devices. Bar goes across about 50% of the way and then the computer reboots.
Below is information from my bios which hopefully will help:
BIOS version: WB1BX10J.86A.0122.2009.0802.2219
Active processor cores - ALL
Host clock frequency - 133 mhz
Processor turbo speed - 3.20 ghz
Memory speed - 1067 mhz
L2 cache ram - 256 kb
L3 cache ram - 8192 kb
Total memory - 4096 mb
Memory channels - A slot 0 - 2048 mb
Memory channel B slot 0 - 2048 mb
Internal chipset config:
Configure SATA as <IDE>
S.M.A.R.T = enabled
SATA port 0 - ST3500418AS - 500.1 GB
SATA port 1 - not installed
SATA port 2 - ATAPI DVD A D-ATAPT
HD Pre delay - 0
PCE Express config:
PCI Latency timer <32>
FLR capability <disabled>
USB Legacy = <enabled>
Primary video adaptor <auto>
HD front panel audio <enable>
On board LAN <enable>
On board 1394 <enable>
Host clock frequency override <auto>
Host clock frequency <133> all 3 columns as below
Intel turbo boost tech <enable>
Processor core <dynamic>
Memory <1.5> volts
QPI / Processor Uncore <1.1v>
The memory in this computer is:OCZ 4GB PC3-10666 Platinum low voltage 2 x 2 GB
I have a question - When I was installing the motherboard and putting in all the connections, there was a pin socket for 1394 but did not know what to plug into it - so left it unplugged. As noted above in the bios, the "On board 1394 <enable>". Should that be turned to disable or should there be a plug to go into that?
I upgraded to the latest BIOS from Intel and is still doing the same thing. I have read on other posts regarding disabling turbo boost or something like that or also raising the voltage of the memory. I am a little leary on the voltage thing. My specs are above with the exception of the BIOS version which is the latest. Any suggestions as to what to try either in the bios or wherever, would be greatly appreciated. Haven't been able to even install Win xp pro for about 10 days. Thanks.
I have tried almost anything. Point is I cannot even get the operating system installed to find out if this machine would work after all other software is loaded. As per my previous post I have tried 2 different win xp pro install disks (reformatting the HD both times) and still reboots at the same time during install. If the computer is just sitting there running while in the BIOS screens, it is just fine. Ran the extensive memory testing and passed flawlessly. I am going crazy trying to find an answer here and don't know what to do. Should I contact Intel directly? Do they have support numbers? Thanks for you previous posts. I don't know if there is actually anything wrong with anything in the box but just can't get any farther.
We have been having the same problem with this particular board here and found it to be a memory voltage issue. Up your memory voltage to 1.6v, I have found this to work with the highly unstable DP55WB.
We have called Intel engineers to let them know that this seemed to fix the problem, but not to sure they are listening.
Give it a shot!
Finally figured it out to be to disable C1 state. That is the only thing. Was able to initialize the HD on the same computer as well. What a long nightmare. I knew that everything else including the ram was OK. The ram was at 1.5 v. Thank you all for replying. Consider this as solved after a long, long ordeal.