5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2016 6:59 AM by ivanu_intel

Unable to Boot Into Windows on Intel Compute Stick

mychal6885

I received my my compute stick yesterday and have spent a total of 5 hours trying to get it to load.. Today I called tech support and they created a case and directed to this thread, which has sparse info.

After I unboxed the device it prompted me to update OOTB settings. I got to the "choose networking page" and it displayed a pink screen. I let it sit on this screen for 1.5 hrs. Then powered down the device and rebooted, after it came up , it loaded and then showed Recovery - OS could not be accessed.

I have tried Refresh and Reset - but get a cannot reset/refresh message. I also tried to update the reg as shown on a similiar community thread (changing SYSTEM name worked, SOFTWARE says file was in use).

Please help! Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Unable to Boot Into Windows on Intel Compute Stick
          lhill

Hi mychal6885,

Couple of ideas for you:

- Be sure you are using the AC power adapter plugged into a wall outlet; do not try powering the device from a USB port. We've seen odd boot issues when powering from USB.

- Before trying to access the recovery partition via the F8 key, make sure you do NOT have an SD card or a USB portable thumb drive attached to the Compute Stick. We've seen these cause recovery failures.

Regards,

Lois

Intel

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unable to Boot Into Windows on Intel Compute Stick
            Zeke

If it helps, mine crashed/rebooted every time I hit the network selection page when I was using the USB port on the TV for power. Once I switched to the wall adapter, I no longer had the issue and was able to complete the setup.

• 3. Re: Unable to Boot Into Windows on Intel Compute Stick
              mychal6885

This did the trick. Smooth sailing. Now installing the apps update bc all MS apps are crashing. Thanks!

• 4. Re: Unable to Boot Into Windows on Intel Compute Stick
                Aseem

Need replacement ASAP. Purchased this on 28-07-2015, date of manufacture 06/2015. Yesterday it hung and when restarted it would never boot. It stays on boot screen for a few minutes and then screen blacks out. Tried "F8" recovery option, during boot is prints "Please Wait" for a few minutes and again the screen blacks out. Looks like this stick has gone bad too early. I have been only running media server on this as it is of not much use being extremely slow. However, I spent 10k Indian Rupees on this and therefore I want a brand new replacement unit. Probably the worst product I have ever seen - going bad within a few months of minimal usage.

SA# H79551-100

S/N: GEFC52301K1B

Why am I posting here? :because, I couldn't create a service request.

Why I couldn't create a service request?: because I couldn't register to get user name and password

Why couldn't I register?: because when I tried to register giving my e-mail ID, I never got a response mail from Intel! Tried two mail IDs: aseemov@gmail.com and aseem.v@gmx.com - check spam etc no use.

However, I was able to register and get confirmation mail for the community forums: that's why I'm here.

• 5. Re: Unable to Boot Into Windows on Intel Compute Stick
                  ivanu_intel

Hi,

In this case if you need a warranty replacement you will need to create a web ticket here:

Contact Support

mychal6885 is your system up and running now or you still need assistance?

Best wishes,

Ivan