2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 11:10 PM by John_Brewer

ifconfig usb0 down - Causes bricking?

APKaudio

Hello all

Thanks for the forum and support. 

I had Yocto installed and running the command "ifconfig usb0 down" to get my WiFi working.   It did indeed solve my wifi problem but I fear it disabled my usb0 port. 

Since executing this command I cannot SSH into the edison. 

I did flash as described here
      IoT - Flashing the firmware on your Intel® Edison board on a system with Mac* OS X* | Intel® Developer Zone
      but cannot access anything   using the "screen /dev/cu.usbserial-A502LSA3 115200 -L" command, it hangs.

I can access the volume/Edison

I made an attempt to connect to the device, the only device that would work is this tty.usbmodem2411  but the Blink test did not make the LED blink on the board. 

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 7.46.01 PM.png

• 1. Re: ifconfig usb0 down - Causes bricking?
          lth

By default - for whatever bizarre reason - sshd only listens to the usb0 interface.  In /lib/systemd/system/sshd.socket you will find the following:

[Socket]

ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -p /var/run/sshd

ListenStream=22

# restrict access to wired access for security reasons

# comment this line to remove restriction

BindToDevice=usb0

Accept=yes

Comment out the BindToDevice (or nuke the line alltogether), reboot and sshd will listen to the WiFi interface as well.  You might also have to set a password for root (I am not sure if that is required but it's a good thing anyway).

//Lars Boegild Thomsen

• 2. Re: ifconfig usb0 down - Causes bricking?
            John_Brewer

Edison doesn't allow ssh to via other network devices until you set up a password in configure_edison. If they didn't do that, everyone on your wifi network (and possibly the wider Internet) could ssh into your Edison as root.

Once you set a root password in configure_edison, you can ssh in from any attached network. No need to mess with config files manually.