6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 7:52 AM by jryland

NUC5i7RYH -- no BIOS setup screen after F2 anymore

Nucci_1

NUC5i7RYH -- no BIOS setup screen after F2 anymore, it worked originally, for some reason not able to enter with same setup. Thank you for any hint.

• 1. Re: NUC5i7RYH -- no BIOS setup screen after F2 anymore
          dougho

Are you saying that you see the prompt for F2 and after pressing it you end up with something like blank screen?  Or are you saying that you don't get a chance to press F2 anymore (ending up at something like an OS desktop)?  If the later, trying something like "Power Button Menu" may give you the chance to get back into BIOS - you start from power off, then hold down the power button for some very specific amount of time (around 3 seconds) not longer or shorter.  If you are able to press F2 but get something like a blank screen, I might guess that the first area to investigate would be your cables to monitor or the monitor itself (try different cables and/or different monitors).

• 2. Re: NUC5i7RYH -- no BIOS setup screen after F2 anymore
            Nucci_1

hi, thank you for responding. I still get the options to press F2, F7, F10, all options work except F2 which produces a blank screen. I think it has nothing to do with cables. Read somewhere that same problem was fixed by someone when fixing partitions of hd. I will try this, my Ubuntu installer has created partitions before crashing so will remove them again. But honestly I do not understand how the two things should be related.

• 3. Re: NUC5i7RYH -- no BIOS setup screen after F2 anymore
              dougho

Thank you for that additional information.  I could be wrong, but I still think that not seeing screen after pressing F2 is some issue relating to your monitor or the cabling used.  The NUC tries to read the capabilities of your monitor and display a 1024x768 graphic screen centered within the native monitor resolution.

• 4. Re: NUC5i7RYH -- no BIOS setup screen after F2 anymore
                Nucci_1

Hi, this one is now solved after BIOS upgrade from 246 to 247.

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: NUC5i7RYH -- no BIOS setup screen after F2 anymore
                  jryland

Hi Dougho,

Thanks, this suggestion helped me. I was having a similar issue with my D3410WYKH NUC. I was previously able to get in to the BIOS setup, but somehow got locked out and it wouldn't recognise my keyboard any more so F2 didn't work and my bootloader was also stuck waiting for a keypress with uninitialized USB ports. Tried almost everything, reflashing the BIOS (about the only thing I was able to make it do), unplugging the CMOS battery for many minutes, holding the power button down for various periods of time, changing/removing the BIOS jumper on the board.

I was surprised to say the least when I was finally able to get back in to the UEFI/BIOS setup screens and get my NUC booting again by plugging it in to my TV instead of in to my monitor!!!

It seems you are right and the USB initialization is effected by the screen detection, and until I connected to my TV with a straight HDMI cable, I was locked out. My connector to my monitor is a HDMI to DVI connector.

Thanks

John

• 6. Re: NUC5i7RYH -- no BIOS setup screen after F2 anymore
                    jryland

BTW, just want to add that in addition to connecting to my TV instead, I also needed to use the power button trick of holding it down for the required amount of time.

Regards

John