7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2010 8:36 AM by eiacob

IDU reports voltage out of range.

nomejoe

Problem: I have a dg45id motherboard with an E8400 duo running windows vista. Iget the following errors (example)

Alert #1   10/16/2009 7:27:43 AM
      Content:
      [+5 Volts] out of recommended range.(12.148 V)

=============================================================
      Alert #2   10/16/2009 7:27:40 AM
      Content:
      [+12 Volts] out of recommended range.(2.265 V)

Alert #3   10/16/2009 7:27:31 AM
      Content:
      [+5 Volts] out of recommended range.(12.155 V)

=========

These errors are reported by the Intel Desktop Utility. They are not continiooously reported and seem to be independent of activity. The computer i connected to an APC SUA1500 UPS (pure sine wave). The powersupply is a new Antec YP750/Blue.

Qusetion

What could be causing the problem.

TIA

Joe

• 1. Re: IDU reports voltage out of range.
          KernelSoftware

Joe, we are having the same problem; we are getting alerts about the 12 V and 5 V values (they seem to reverse for about 2 seconds and then return to normal).  We concur that the timing of the alerts is independent of computer use.  The interval between alerts might be only a few minutes or several days.

We have tested this exhaustively: A number of different power supplies, replacement main board, replacement processor, bench test (no chassis), different hard drives, different versions of Windows (XP Pro, Vista Business, 7 64-bit) and it occurs under all those scenarios.  Of course, in each case the BIOS and drivers are all current.  Have you discovered the cause?  Please feel free to contact me directly.  Thanks!

• 2. Re: IDU reports voltage out of range.
            Cpt.Dogfruit

I would say there is a bigger chance it is a misreading by the IDU than anything else.... I know there were issue with it on OS that wernt in english, but i doubt that would mean there arent any issue with it on an english OS. TO be honest i wouldnt worry about ti.

• 3. Re: IDU reports voltage out of range.
              ehimal

I am also having the same dg45id motherboard with an E7500 proccesor running windows 7..

IDU reports same error hundreds of time daily.. actually now i have disabled the alerts coz it always appears..

PLS HELP..

• 4. Re: IDU reports voltage out of range.
                KernelSoftware

We have opened a support case with Intel on this issue.  Intel has agreed to test this in their lab.  It has now been a week or so and we are still awaiting any word of the test results.  I will post back here when we hear anything.

Tim

• 5. Re: IDU reports voltage out of range.
                  ehimal

hello TIM, did u get any word frm INTEL.. ? its vey sad to hear that they are taking much time regarding this matter...

• 6. Re: IDU reports voltage out of range.
                    KernelSoftware

ehimal, I just got another update from Intel today.  They have had a test system running in their lab since Friday and still no issue found (no voltage alerts).  Please post your main board part number and AA number, processor part number, memory part number(s), and your power supply manufacturer, model, part number, and wattage.  Maybe we can find something in common that will help testing.  I assume you are using the current BIOS, drivers, IDU, and have all Windows updates installed, correct?  Thanks.

Tim

• 7. Re: IDU reports voltage out of range.
                      eiacob

I have the same problem, too.

I have an Intel DG45ID motherboard with Intel E8400 processor. Power supply is a Gigabyte and it's a good one. 5 hdd + 1 dvdrw inside as main power consumers.

I don't know how to interpret this variations, but if other's are having the same issue, could be that is not the power supply fault. Anyway after a drop from 12V down to 2,5V, even for a short time, I suppose that the system will not pass over this successfully.

Alert #1   14.03.2010 16:18:26
                      Content:
                      [+5 Volts] out of recommended range.(12,326 V)

Alert #2   14.03.2010 16:18:24
                      Content:
                      [+12 Volts] out of recommended range.(2,515 V)

Alert #3   14.03.2010 16:16:23
                      Content:
                      [+5 Volts] out of recommended range.(12,319 V)

Alert #4   14.03.2010 16:16:21
                      Content:
                      [+12 Volts] out of recommended range.(2,515 V)