2 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2015 3:49 PM by theorange

Switching from RAID to AHCI with SRT enabled

theorange

Hey guys, I have an SRT setup, with a 64GB SSD caching a 2TB HDD, however, I need to just very quickly switch my controller from RAID to AHCI mode so I can boot up a dual boot OS, then change some settings so that my secondary OS can run in RAID mode. I was just wondering if turning off RAID mode, going into my secondary OS, then turning RAID back on will still "link" my SSD to the HDD, or if it will make Windows unbootable. (I have it running in maximized mode, so there is no data backup on the HD.) I could just unlink them through the RST drivers in Windows, but I'd rather not lose all my data that was already cached on it, if just switching back to AHCI mode and back into RAID won't damage it.

• 1. Re: Switching from RAID to AHCI with SRT enabled
          hansb_intel

Hi theorange,

There is no guarantee that switching from RAID to AHCI and then to AHCI again will not affect the caching or the RAID configuration, so it is best to back up your data before you try this, I would not worry about cached data though, since this is constantly being re-written.

• 2. Re: Switching from RAID to AHCI with SRT enabled
            theorange

Hi, thanks for the reply. So, switching to AHCI does not delete the cached data or make it unreadable after going back to RAID? The only reason I ask is that if I do unaccelarating the drives first in RST, I'm too lazy to wait for all my most used programs to eventually work their way back into the cache. So, just to clear it up, if there is any chance at all that switching to AHCI before unaccelarating the HDD will make windows unbootable after turning RAID back on, I'll unlink them first in RST. When you say that it could potentially affect the caching, but you then say not to worry about the cached data, what do you mean?

Also, would switching to enhanced mode, (So that the cache date is written to the HD) then switching back to maximized mode be an effecting method of backup?