1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 4:28 PM by Bundle

Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.

Bundle

Intel® NUC i7 Kit NUC5i7RYH

Intel NUC i7 won't startup.  I just purchased the Intel® NUC i7 Kit NUC5i7RYH with the following components:
      1. PNY 16 Gb 2x8 Duel Channel Memory Kit
      2. Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 Gb M.2
      3. Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1 Tb 2.5" SATA

I connected the NUC to my video display with a mini-HDMI adapter to a standard HDMI cable.  I also have a USB mouse and a USB keybord.  With all the components safely installed into the NUC and all the peripherals connected, I pushed the on button.  The on button keeps blinking with a blue light, but there is no bootup display on my monitor.  My monitor says that there is no connection, but I has already tested the HDMI cable to my display by using my laptop.

With all the components installed the NUC i7 doesn't startup.  The on button just keeps on blinking.

What can I do to resolve this; otherwise, I have to return everything back to the store for a refund?

• 1. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
          dougho

I am not from Intel, but the first thing to check would be more specific info on the memory.  There are very specific requirements about the memory such as 1.35v (not 1.5v - no exceptions) and only certain density allowed (loosely means the number of chips per side of the module).  Also probably can't be too fast (most other systems just use slower speed of too fast memory but NUC seems to complain).  In some cases such as wrong density and/or too fast, you might be able to start NUC if you keep one of the memory slots empty, but that is mainly just a hint that you are using memory which does not match the spec.

• 2. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
            Bundle

Sounds like the NUC has some very restrictive specifications.  I've built some of my own computers by just purchased quality components and I've had no problems, but if the NUC has such temperamental specifications it may be too frustrating for me to own it.  There may be other issues that can randomly appear even after I solve this one.  Do the Intel technicians respond to posts in this forum?  I've never had trouble with building computers until now.

I hope this is not true, but has the NUC i7 been released too soon before it's ready for consumers to use?

• 3. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
              mjoyce4550

Dougho probably has it right.

Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH — System Memory

Memory requirement

• Supports two 1.35 V DDR3L (low voltage) SO-DIMMs
              • 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz
              • Unbuffered, non-ECC
              • Minimum recommended memory: 2 GB
              • Maximum memory: 16 GB
              • Serial presence detect (SPD)
              • 1.5 V DDR3 memory modules are not supported.
              • If you plan to install just one SO-DIMM, install it in the lower memory socket.

Blink Codes and Beep Codes

Intel® NUC Boards and Kits — Blink Codes and Beep Codes

• 4. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
                Bundle

I want to max out the memory, so I saw on the Intel Tested Memory Card list there is a Kingston KHX18LS11P1K2/16 (8 GB x 2 pcs); however, on the Kingston website it says that the KHX18LS11P1K2/16 (8 GB x 2 pcs) has been replaced with the HX318LS10IBK2/16.

Memory Search Discontinued Part Numbers | Kingston Technology

Have the Intel folks tested this replacement and should I purchase it?  It's hard to find a local store that sells this card.

So far in these replies no one has said that the hard drives are a problem.  Are these tested and approved or is the solution to this problem just in replacing the memory cards?

* Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 Gb M.2

* Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1 Tb 2.5" SATA

As for the blink codes, it's hard to keep count on them; so they're not too helpful.  Also there is no beeping sound.

• 5. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
                  mjoyce4550

If you're getting 3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks, pause, etc, etc, etc, it's your memory. It's the most logical first thing to try in that case.

• 6. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
                    Bundle

Why does it have to be so difficult?  I've never had to do this with all my other computer building.  If this is just the first solution, how many more problems with the NUC will I have to handle?

• 7. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
                      mjoyce4550

Computers are hard. Maybe you should just give up and return it while you can. I have built thousands of PC's over the years and at least 200 NUCs in the last year and a half. I've had a handful of issues with the NUCs, only ONE of which required an RMA. The remainder were either RAM, BIOS, DRIVE IMAGE, PERIPHERAL or HUMAN ERROR.

• 8. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
                        Bundle

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I think that I mentioned that I have built my own computers for the last 20 years and there were other problems, but never on startup.  None have them were as temperamental as this NUC with such fussy specifications.  If I give up it will be on this Intel product, not on all NUCs.  I don't mean to be critical, but this is my observations as a product review.  A product review is not a reason for giving up on building a computer.  I think that computer manufacturers shouldn't release their product without them being more widely compatible.  I had high expectations from Intel and I waited until the i7's release, instead of buying from some other manufacturers. I've dealt with issues on BIOS, Drive Images and peripherals and they are second nature to me.  It's just the tight specification requirements for component compatibility and the availability of those compatible components like the RAM that are frustrating.

In order to continue with this NUC, I need to know the answer to my last question about the compatible hard drives.  I'll continue to try, but I need some more answers.

• 9. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
                          dougho

I cannot guarantee anything, but I think that Kingston memory is reasonable choice - I'm running the /8 version of it in my NUC.  You did not mention the specific PNY model so I don't know whether the issue might be the voltage or the density or the speed (if it boots with just one module then I'd guess it is wrong density).  The drives should be fine, you could temporarily remove them but I suspect you'd still get the blinking due to memory; my only problem with Samsung 2.5" SSD is that being thinner 7.5mm instead of full 9mm I didn't initially line it up correctly (look for the screw holes in case to align with screw holes in sides of SSD).

I don't know why the last couple generation NUC have been so specific about memory.  Presumably limitations of the U series processors (voltage/density), but maybe also some coding in the BIOS (not allowing high speed memory at lower speed).

• 10. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
                            Bundle

Thanks again dougho.

On the PNY RAM package is says that its a model # MN16384KD3-1600.

DDR3 PC3-12800

Website: https://www.pny.com/XLR8_16GB_2x8GB_DDR3_1600_PC3-12800_CAS_9_Notebook_Memory_Kit

Product Specifications: Tested Speed: 1600 MHz Latencies: CAS 9 Voltage: 1.5v

The Samsung 2.5" SSD fits very tight.  In order to remove it, I had to take all the small screws off the metal holder.  It doesn't slide out.  I saw that it fits snug against the NUC's SATA connector; so there's no connection problem on that.  I turned on the NUC with the M.2 SSD and the PNY RAM only and it still didn't work.

• 11. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
                              mjoyce4550

There's your problem: Voltage: 1.5v

• 12. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
                                Bundle

Well that could be it?  If all the problem is just 0.15v, then I'll run to the store and get another type.  I'm thinking of the Kingston HyperX Impact SODIMM 16GB Kit* 2x8GB DDR3L 1600MHz Multi HX316LS9IBK216 - Best Buy

Amizon.com says that it uses 1.35v, so it should qualify. http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-HyperX-1866MHz-HX318LS10IBK2-16/dp/B00KQCOT3Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432237297&sr=…

Then any laptop low voltage (1.35 v) memory kit should work?  What say you and dougho?

• 13. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
                                  mjoyce4550

That's not on the "Tested Memory" list, but will probably be OK. Looks like they have a heat spreader, which MIGHT not allow the modules to click into place. Anyone know the answer to THAT question? Since having a problem with a different system, I usually just avoid them.

• 14. Re: Help Please.  My Intel NUC i7 won't startup.
                                    dougho

Again, I cannot guarantee but I agree that those Kingston look okay (density is eight chips per side).  Regarding heat spreader, I think it is a thin sticker-like thing without any problem.  Sorry about any trouble taking 2.5" SSD out - I agree it is not the easiest, and I was trying to say that it should not matter.  Regarding the slight extra space, I meant in the thick/thin dimension (not the tight width or length).  Mine initially went in crooked or something not connecting (so was not seen by BIOS or OS, until I re-seated it).

1 2 Previous Next