After reading the multiple reviews of how good these NUCs are as media players I decided to try for myself.
My current setup is IB based, WIN7x64 + WMC (for TV) + MPC-HC(x64, madVr) as external player for stuff that WMC can't do.
The PC is connected via HDMI to a DENON 1911 AVR and that via HDMI to a LG TV.
- This setup is proven , I made multiple variations of it with Clarkdale, sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge PCs.
Features I expect from any of my HTPC builds:
- The system only enters S3 at idle, hardly ever reboots, is never switched off.
- Even when the TV is off, the system can wake up for scheduled tasks, do some recordings, and go back to sleep
- the system can be woken by WOL, e.g. for remote access to files,etc.. It goes back to sleep when idling for long enough (15mins)
- CIR always worked out of the box (using Intel mobos dh57dd, dh67gd, dh77eb....) incl. wake from S5, S3
The only issue I have with the current (DH77EB) setup, is that HDMI audio does not enumerate the AVR caps when the AVR is turned on, thus switching from pass-thru to full decode caps.
I would expect it to behave like mentioned e.g. here: Re: Disappointed - Audio problem intel won't fix
The new NUC build:
- crucial ballistix BLS2C4G3N18AES4CEU 2x 4GB 1866, LV
- a spare 2.5 disk (I tried various incl. a samsung 830 ssd, )
I quickly verified that the features claimed in the various reviews actually work (e.g media caps MadVR @ Jinc3AR...), all very nice.
- Sleep wake cycles using CIR/keyb is OK
- the system is dead when woken up by WOL !!
- it powers up all right, the light is blue, the fan is audible, the TV, if attached, or switched on later will show a static picture of e.g. the windows desktop (at a res of 1080i60, dunno where it gets that from).
- Nothing else works, no keyboard, nor CIR, no mouse, not network, not even ping. Have to switch the unit off to get it back.
- This only happened when connected to the TV via HDMI, and not when connected to a computer monitor via HDMI/DVI cable. Since I suspected something HDMI I tried the new beta driver (...4206) provided in another thread. that seemed to make things better, but not always.
- The Network, Bluettooth and Wifi Notification Icons on the bottom right of the windows 7 desktop appear only randomly,
- sometimes none of them are visible (not even the network icon, which is system icon) !!
- if the network icon is visible, the wifi isn't
- Bluetooth icon almost never is visible, sometimes however the 'Battery' icon is ???
- BT icon can turned on by going to start->search->'BT settings' and then toggling the 'show notification' checkbox..
- Note this is only the icons missing, the funcionality itself, i.e. netork, wifi, BT is there and working.
- Unfortunately with a missing BT icon it is a pita to find any BT devices...
- HDMI audio re-enumeration when AVR is switched on/passthrough still doesn't work
Items 2,3 I could probably some live with until they get fixed, seems to be related to a race condition/ timeout when starting the various services but item 1 is a no go.
I can't afford to invest that amount of money and then hope these issues might get fixed within the life cycle of the product. Last time I remember it took the IB/Haswell based systems about a year to get such things ironed out.
I'm returning the system while I still can.