stephenbuck415

System:

Intel DX58SO

Intel i7 2.67

6GB Corsair RAM

Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI

1 Seagate internal 1 TB

1 Seagate internal 1.5 TB

Saturday morning I returned from breakfast to discover my monitors displaying a blue screen that prevented me from accessing my system.
      The corrective action taken thus far is:
      - Using the original Vista 64-bit install disk, attempt to repair the system. It found a bug but was unable to repair it.
      - Using the original V64 install disk, format the C drive and attempt to re-install V64. I was unable to get to the point to install the software because of a similar blue screen.
      - Not knowing what to do, I went to a local store and bought a new C drive. The new drive has been installed and all other drives have been detached from the board and power supply. Using an old laptop, I went to the Intel site and downloaded the most current BIOS. I successfully installed the new BIOS on the clean system. When attempting to install V64 onto the new drive (with no other drives connected or powered) I get the attached blue screen.
      Any suggestions to correct this situation will be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks
      Buck

800x314-1.jpg

• 1. Re: Vista 64 bit crash, unable to repair, restore or re-install
          frdbadf

Stephen,

I ran into the same problem with a client's computer... crazy as this may sound it was caused by using a USB keyboard.  If you have a PS2 keyboard, use it to perform the repair/reinstall.  Afterward you can install the USB keyboard.

• 2. Re: Vista 64 bit crash, unable to repair, restore or re-install
            Span1shUk

Hi Stephen

Make sure that Windows Vista Installation CD has SP1 on it.

The motherboard is quite new if you don't have SP1 on the CD you might encounter issues trough the installation.

Are you installing the operating system on a RAID configuration?

Regards

Span1shUk   

• 3. Re: Vista 64 bit crash, unable to repair, restore or re-install
              stephenbuck415

Unfortunately there are no such keyboard ports. I can only use a USB keyboard.

• 4. Re: Vista 64 bit crash, unable to repair, restore or re-install
                stephenbuck415

The install disk is Build 6001: Service Pack 1.

No RAID to my knowledge. This install is attempting to install on a single drive. All other drives are completely disconnected - they are not connected to the power supply or motherboard.

I've just made a few more attempts with some variations. Very brief notes chronicling the experience are below:

Removed all RAM. dusted everything.

Installed 2gb ram

When selecting Boot from DVd get the same bluescreen as original attachment (same error code):

stop: 0X0000001e ( 0xFFFFFFFFC0000096, OxFFFFF8000A4AE523, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000 )

Note: The error screen suggests to disable BIOS memory options such as cashing and shadowing, but I have not

been able to locate those options in the BIOS.

On restart, attempting to Boot from dvd
                press F8
                get Windows is loading files
                select option to run windows in Safe Mode
                (loads files)
                Build 6001: Service Pack 1

1st install screen (language, time nad currency, keyboard or input method)

Next

Install Now

Please wait...

Type oyour product key for activation

product key entered

I accept the license terms

Which type of installation?
                Custom (advanced)
                upgrade disabled

Disk 0 Partition 1 1397.3GB

Next
                copying files
                expanding files

installed in safe mode, restarting

during restart the system flashed to a blue screen with new codes and automatically restarted.

attempting to start windows in safe mode.

receive windows error message when loading windows:
                The computer restarted unexpedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation can not proceed. To

install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.

---

All in all this is a completely new experience to me. I've never had this degree of trouble when attempting to install a Windows OS on a completely new drive.

• 5. Re: Vista 64 bit crash, unable to repair, restore or re-install
                  stephenbuck415

I've cleaned up the above notes and submitted it as a report to Microsoft.

Thanks for the assistance.