cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD in older SATA (1.5) Mobo?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

On the newer 3.0gb/s HDDs you can set a jumper to force the drive into 1.5 mode to work with the older SATA standard.

My question is: Can I use Intel's SSDs in an old mobo that only supports SATA 1.5? I've looked at pictures and there is no jumper on SSDs like there are on HDDs.

I don't plan on using this setup too long, just need to get an SSD now and use it in an older system while I'm putting a higher end system together for the holidays.

Thank you,

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The jumper is only need to support some VIA and SiS chipsets, well designed SATA controllers should auto detect the correct speeds.

You should be fine, clearly you may not see the advertised speeds as there based on benchmarks on nwer systems.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Unfortunately, I am running a VIA SATA RAID BIOS. I have the AOpen AK86-L (from 2004) which runs on the Via K8T800/8237 chipset.

This is why with the newer SATA 3gbit HHDs I have to use the jumper for my mobo/SATA controller to be able to see the drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Bummer the 8237 chipset is one of the ones that causes problems. I think you'd have to raise a ticket with Intel to get a answer on the question as there is no jumpers.

Otherwise you'll have to get a addin card or wait until you have a compatable SATA controller.

Sorry