5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2009 10:59 AM by kimkaberg

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 drivers for Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter

kimkaberg

Hi,

According to http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-030614.htm the Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter should have In Box support for Server 2008 R2. It doesn't say x64 but I guess it's also supported?

No drivers has been automatically installed by Server 2008 R2 and I've tried running PROWIN7X64.exe without success. I've also tried unpacking the PROWIN7X64.exe file and let device manager search for the driver in the unpacked directory.

Is there something I'm missing?

I've now installed the driver manually with "browse for...", "let me pick...", "network adapter" and then choosing Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter from the list.

It said that is wasn't compatible but I installed anyway. The NIC can't start up now, "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Could it be a malfunction? Both LEDs on the back side are solid green.

Message was edited by: kimkaberg

• 1. Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 drivers for Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
          mark_h_@intel

Yes, the Intel(R) PRO/1000 GT Desktop adapter is supported by Windows Server 2008 R2, x64 edition. Microsoft skipped having a 32-bit edition for the server OS this time around. Downloading the driver package from Intel will not help, because the driver for that adapter is not included in any driver packages from Intel. The only driver is the one that comes with Windows. There are not any known issues with code 10 from this driver. Most likely the code 10 is caused by some other problem instead of the driver itself.

Since you tried a manual install and got a message that the driver "wasn't compatible", sounds like Windows is not reading the correct device ID that identifies your adapter as an Intel(R) PRO/1000 GT Desktop adapter.

In Windows Device manager, can you see the hardware ids property in the Details tab? You should see a string that starts with PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_107C&SUBSYS_13768086 for a retail adapter or

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_107C&SUBSYS_14768086 for an adapter from an OEM version of the adapter. If you don't see these numbers in there, then that would explain why you can't load the driver, but won't really fix your problem. You will still need to figure out if the problem is the adapter or not.

You might try putting the adapter in a different slot to see if the problem goes away. Another thing to try is updating your BIOS. Does it work in another computer or under another operating system? If you have another system to check the adapter, that will help you narrow down the problem.

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 drivers for Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
            kimkaberg

Thank you for the replay. I'll try your suggestions and report back.

• 3. Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 drivers for Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
              kimkaberg

Hi again,

The hardware ID seems to be wrong. It is reported as PCI\VEN_0086&DEV_107C&SUBSYS_13760086&REV_05 by the device manager.
              The Vendor and Subsys tag is wrong. Does this indicate that I have a non genuine Intel adapter?

I have also changed the PCI slot and updated to latest BIOS. The mother board is a ASUS P6T.

I have not tested it in another computer yet. Will do it later today.

BR

Kim

• 4. Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 drivers for Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
                mark_h_@intel

The '0086' instead of '8086' in two different places is suspicious. You might be right about the adapter not being a genuine Intel adapter. Hopefully you can return it to wherever you bought it.

• 5. Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 drivers for Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
                  kimkaberg

Hi,

I have now tested the NIC in my Dell Optiplex 760 Vista Business x64 without problem. The ID's are correct and driver is installed correctly. I assume I have to continue troubleshooting my mainboard. Thank you for all the help Mark!

It now works in the 2008 R2 server. I set the Plug and play setting in BIOS to NO and it all worked.

Message was edited by: kimkaberg