Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

Windows 7 Enterprise on Shuttle XPC G33/G31

idata
Employee

Hi,

I installed Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit (not the beta or the RC) on my Shuttle XPC Quad Q6600 with Intel G33/G31 chipset with the Intel driver for the win7 RC (version 8.15.10.1912).

There are some issues...

Mainly when waking up from sleep (garbled display, incomplete graphics, windows in unicolor, etc.)

I've gotten messages from win7 saying that igdkmd64.sys is responding slowly and is causing the system to wake up sloooooooowly from sleep.

Any idea when the full win7 driver for the G33/G31 will be released?

Thanks,

V

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

hmm, didn't really solve my problems...

Let me describe more in detail what's happening:

First, the display I use is an Acer p224w.

I must admit that the sleep issue doesn't occur all the time. What does happen all the time (when the display is put to sleep) is the following:

- continuous connect/disconnect hardware ping sound (i suppose from the display)

- running applications windows are resized to 640x480 when the display comes back from sleep

- some desktop icons changed place

What happens sometimes, usually when the machine comes back from sleep

- usually same as above

- sometimes, background is black, desktop icons do appear, but cannot be clicked

- it seems to be linked to explorer.exe, cos I got a few messages that it is unresponsive

- sometimes, when I press ctrl+alt+del, I can log-off or restart, sometimes mothing works anymore

- logging off and back on fixes the unresponsive explorer / graphics issues

- sometimes the display just doesn't come back from sleep at all

It may be my imagination, but it seems after installing those two items, things have gotten a little better, but there are still issues.

any thoughts?

thnx,

V

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Another strange thing that happens (dunno if they're related) is that sometimes when the machine wakes up, I get a "You're computer is low on memory. Save your files and close these programs: Firefox.exe"

Now, I have 4 gigs of ram (no paging file) and only AVG antivirus, Outlook 2007 and firefox 3.5 running.

The memory desktop gadget says 93% used...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Event viewer also registers the below message exactly every 60 seconds:

Log Name: Application

Source: SDWinSec.exe

Date: 19/10/2009 22:13:26

Event ID: 0

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: MyShuttle

Description:

The description for Event ID 0 from source SDWinSec.exe cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Out of memory

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

MyShuttle

Out of memory

The mystery continues...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Also got this message a couple of times:

"Desktop Window Manager stopped working and was closed".

Related? Probably, sigh...

Hoping for new drivers from Intel...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, I "solved" the problem...

Whenever the System_Microsoft-Windows-Resource-Exhaustion event is triggered, I run a script that terminates the dwm.exe process. Since this dwm.exe relaunches automatically after, this takes care of my woes.

Not the most elegant solution, but for now I'm saved.

Hopefully Microsoft and/or Intel will come up with a patch for this problem...
0 Kudos