hmm, didn't really solve my problems...
Let me describe more in detail what's happening:
First, the display I use is an Acer p224w.
I must admit that the sleep issue doesn't occur all the time. What does happen all the time (when the display is put to sleep) is the following:
- continuous connect/disconnect hardware ping sound (i suppose from the display)
- running applications windows are resized to 640x480 when the display comes back from sleep
- some desktop icons changed place
What happens sometimes, usually when the machine comes back from sleep
- usually same as above
- sometimes, background is black, desktop icons do appear, but cannot be clicked
- it seems to be linked to explorer.exe, cos I got a few messages that it is unresponsive
- sometimes, when I press ctrl+alt+del, I can log-off or restart, sometimes mothing works anymore
- logging off and back on fixes the unresponsive explorer / graphics issues
- sometimes the display just doesn't come back from sleep at all
It may be my imagination, but it seems after installing those two items, things have gotten a little better, but there are still issues.
Another strange thing that happens (dunno if they're related) is that sometimes when the machine wakes up, I get a "You're computer is low on memory. Save your files and close these programs: Firefox.exe"
Now, I have 4 gigs of ram (no paging file) and only AVG antivirus, Outlook 2007 and firefox 3.5 running.
The memory desktop gadget says 93% used...
Event viewer also registers the below message exactly every 60 seconds:
Log Name: Application
Date: 19/10/2009 22:13:26
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
The description for Event ID 0 from source SDWinSec.exe cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
Out of memory
<Provider Name="SDWinSec.exe" />
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-10-19T20:13:26.000000000Z" />
<Data>Out of memory</Data>
The mystery continues...
Also got this message a couple of times:
"Desktop Window Manager stopped working and was closed".
Related? Probably, sigh...
Hoping for new drivers from Intel...
Well, I "solved" the problem...
Whenever the System_Microsoft-Windows-Resource-Exhaustion event is triggered, I run a script that terminates the dwm.exe process. Since this dwm.exe relaunches automatically after, this takes care of my woes.
Not the most elegant solution, but for now I'm saved.
Hopefully Microsoft and/or Intel will come up with a patch for this problem...