1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 12, 2009 4:08 PM by PeterUK

Limit of 2047 MB when creating raid array

airbourne

We are trying to reuse some older hardware and are running into a small problem.  The problem is either a limitation of the hardware or something that we can fix with a firmware upgrade.  Since I cannot find either documentation or a firmware upgrade, I'm looking for someone that can help.

Intel(R) 631xESB/632xESB  SATA RAID Controller  (also listed as ESB-2 or ESB2)

Raid Controller is built into a Tyan S5382 Tempest i5000PW motherboard.

6 SATA HDDs, 500 G each (465 G formatted)

When we create either a RAID0 or RAID5 array, the maximum size of the drive it will allow is 2047 MB.  I know that the math can sometimes get a bit funky when creating a raid array, I would expect that 465 x 6 in a raid array would give me at least 2700 MB and a raid 5 should give me somewhere around 2300.

Can anyone help me to locate the latest firmware revision for this controller or at least some documentation that can confirm there is a limitation?  Tyan is unfortunately no help as they do not even list the drivers on their website.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Limit of 2047 MB when creating raid array
          PeterUK

If its not a hardware limitation that not even newer firmware will fix the following is the problem:

To get a partition larger than 2TB Windows requires that the GUID Partition Tables be used instead of the standard Master Boot Record (MBR) partition tables.                                           You will need Windows XP x64 Edition or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista, or later for GPT support.

You will not likely be able to have it bootable.