3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2009 11:31 AM by willyt19

Chipset Identification Utility Dies from Scripting Error

willyt19

When I run the chipset id utility on my Presario (Celeron 3.2 gig, XP SP3 Home), I get the useless and enigmatic Windows question whether I want to continue runnung scripts on the page. Regardless of my response, the utility goes to its little helpless logo page, on which the largest item is "Exit" (It's also the only item on the page of any use). I am trying to identify the chipset related to the SM Bus Controller, which is not configured properly. Any ideas?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Chipset Identification Utility Dies from Scripting Error
          n1mbLe

Hi Will,

Try this Download this program (it's free) cpu-z 1.52 ,if you don't know if you have a 32 bit or a 64 bit operating system download the setup & install from that.

If you prefer not to install it & would rather run it without doing an install, download the 32 bit zip or the 64 bit zip and extract it using winzip or winrar or 7zip to a folder that you can easily find (ie. the desktop) and double click the exe file inside.

You can download it from here http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php file size is approx 1.7 MB

After install, start the program, there are only 2 tabs up the top of the program that are of interest  "CPU"(your processor specs) & "Mainboard"(your Mobo specs)

What we are really looking for is the chipset ID ,BIOS revision & Mobo revision.

Here is a screenshot of what it will look like  [IMG]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1338/cpuz3.png[/IMG]

That should give you sufficient information for your problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Chipset Identification Utility Dies from Scripting Error
            willyt19

Thanks for the information. Some of it I had already found, but I saved your email for future reference. Turns out the chipset is not Intel, but ATI. Compaq did some kind of razzle-dazzle with this particular motherboard, which is also not Intel, although there is a killer Celeron 3.2 gig processor on it. I ended up going to the ATI site and getting what I needed.

Thanks again for your trouble.

willyt

• 3. Re: Chipset Identification Utility Dies from Scripting Error
              willyt19

I'm responding to my own post to report that I solved the problem. I refer you to my other post of October 14 for references to how I did it.