2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2009 12:32 PM by easygeeze

GIGABYTE GV-R465D2- Compatability

easygeeze

I'm looking to replace the current Radeon 9200 card fitted to my D865PERL motherboard with the GIGABYTE GV-R465D2-1GI Radeon HD 4650 1GB Whilst the board info shows the AGP slot to be 1.5 v which is compatible with the GIGABYTE card.  the slot edge arrangement is different with the Radeon card having 2 cut outs and the GIGABYTE just 1. Can anyone tell me if the card is compatible, if not can they suggest a suitable replacement capable of running Win7.

• 1. Re: GIGABYTE GV-R465D2- Compatability
          n1mbLe

easygeeze wrote:

I'm looking to replace the current Radeon 9200 card fitted to my D865PERL motherboard with the GIGABYTE GV-R465D2-1GI Radeon HD 4650 1GB Whilst the board info shows the AGP slot to be 1.5 v which is compatible with the GIGABYTE card.  the slot edge arrangement is different with the Radeon card having 2 cut outs and the GIGABYTE just 1. Can anyone tell me if the card is compatible, if not can they suggest a suitable replacement capable of running Win7.

Hi easygeeze,

Your motherboard does appear to support this card in terms of the hardware slot ,AGP 3.0 (4X & 8X Speed at 1.5 and 0.8 Volt Only) but you may need to upgrade your BIOS for this card to work (I have a similiar card on an Asus board of about the same era).

But,  I do not recommend the purchase of this card & I'll tell you why.

1. This graphic card has native DirectX 10 support (That means Win Vista)but I can't confirm it will work on XP which uses DirectX 9.0c .(It will work on win7 which uses DirectX11).

2. Your motherboard appears to be what is usually called on the forums EOL ("End Of Life") meaning there will be no further hardware or driver support for new operating systems,though I must qualify this by saying I could only find driver support for WinXP Media Centre Ed & older & Linux.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865perl/rl_compat.htm

& here

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-025834.htm

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-025834.htm

And scroll down the page to "Archived MLP Reports" where you will find a pdf file with documention on your motherboard.

I am no expert on Intel products but you have a socket 478 motherboard with a 865 chipset which as far as I know are now redundant technologies.

So if you are wanting to upgrade to Win7 you may have to buy a new system,sorry to be the bearer of bad news,but I have a socket 775 motherboard with a 925x chipset which I suspect is also another EOL product.

If you do opt for a new system build & can afford to bear the cost, get a machine based on Core i7 (The current)technology & not LGA775 (outmoded) technology,even in the Quad core processors.

My family have 2 socket LGA775 Quad Core Processor machines & 1 Core i7 Quad Core Processor machine, the difference in speed & responsiveness with the Core i7 is amazing & it will serve you well.

Best of luck!

• 2. Re: GIGABYTE GV-R465D2- Compatability
            easygeeze

Many thanks for informative and constructive response it was much appreciated.

Regards