Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14575 Discussions

Can you replace the Pentium SU4100 with the Intel Core 2 Duo SP9600?

idata
Employee

I'm toying around with replacing the CPU of my Dell Inspiron 11z. It has the Pentium SU4100. I love my netbook/notebook but I'd like it to have more power. The Intel Core 2 Duo SP9600 is a high performance low voltage processor so I'd love to be able to install it in my mini. The 11z comes with the GS45 Chipset. I've looked into it and it supports both CPUs. Is there anything I should look out for? Are the two easily inter-changable?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

The main thing to check is that the board supports the CPU, whether the chipset does or not, so you would need to check with dell or find someone that is using the same specs. Other than that you might have to upgrade the BIOS. If you have taken you laptop to bits before and you know you way around inside it then it shouldn't be too hard.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry man i have just seen this post, and just want to ask Have you finished soldering 956 balls on the board?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Actually these are embedded cpu's means directly soldered on the board and the one u are talking about is 956 balls micro fcbga type it has balls under it instead of pins and these balls are supposed to be soldered on the board.

Regards

0 Kudos