8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 2:40 PM by DanielHSI

DQ35JO + Q6600 system gets very slow if more than one RAM module present

dj-h

My system is as follows:

*Intel Executive Series DQ35JO Motherboard.
      *Intel C2Q Q6600 2.40Ghz Oem Processor.
      *Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA2 hard drive
      *PNY Quadro FX 380 PCI-E 256M GDDR-3 2XDVI graphics card

*on-board audio, one cd/dvd drive
      *Running of a Windows Vista Business 64-bit, SP2 installed

The computer is running very slow. It can barely handle folder openings which can take 3-4 seconds and when I start Firefox with multiple tabs or Adobe InDesign or Photoshop, everything jams and I have to reboot.

All 4 cores of the processor are showing up in the performance tag and after running Windows Vista's diagnosis tools everyhthing seem to be ok.

Somehow this is a RAM related issue.

At first I had two 2GB modules, a double Kingston DDR2 667MHz CL5 2048Mt set. When I took the other 2GB RAM module away, the system started to run normally - fast and smoothly with only 2GB. When I put another module of 2GB RAM back, the problem occurs again. There is no difference between these two RAM modules, either one of them runs just fine no matter on which slot it is instaleld alone but when I put in two or more RAM modules things go wrong and the system becomes very slow.

Someone suggested me to get another 4GB set and I did. I tried with a new pair of 2GB RAM modules and they were acting just like the first set.

And yes, the Windows Vista shows always the correct RAM amount so it detects the RAM modules when they are installed.

Another issue which appeared later and which happens also with only one 2GB RAM module installed is very long boot sequence, it takes 5-8 minutes (yes, minutes - no seconds) from the power on to the intel screen and after that system boots normally. This issue is also discussed on a different thread here: http://communities.intel.com/thread/6702?tstart=0

When googling a bit I see I am not the only one with DQ35JO and Q6600 having this slowness so has anyone any clue what is wrong in my system?